how to use reverse vpn

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

atrac

how to use reverse vpn

Post by atrac »

Hello
I have read some posts about this topic. However, my question is not about how to setup it through menus, but instead about how it works.
My problem is that I discovered that the 4g router that is before the gargoyle router is too difficult to modify and apparently is blocking access from outside to the gargolye, as I need remote access (I am using dynamic dns).
Now, to overcome this, I have read that I could use reverse vpn.
My understanding is that in this case the gargoyle will connect to somewhere through a VPN, but that means that I have to setup a server with a fixed IP? My intent was of course to control the router from my home PC, but I do not understand what to do on this side...

ispyisail

Re: how to use reverse vpn

Post by ispyisail »

It will solve your problem but you need full network control of one end (server end)

You need two sites (or more)

Site 1 Server
Site 2 Client
Site 3 Client
etc

On the "server site" you need full port control

atrac

Post by atrac »

ok, I understand. But, let's say Site 1 is my home: I have a dynamic IP, so I could use a dynamic DNS service and install openVPN on my router.
How does the client (gargoyle) on site 2 gets the IP address of the server from? Can I write somewhere the nameserver so that site 2 will be able to resolve it through the dynamic DNS provider? This is the most obscure part for me.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I have a dynamic IP, so I could use a dynamic DNS service and install openVPN on my router.
2 options

1. Fixed IP address
2. dynamic DNS service

On Gargoyle you need to setup dynamic DNS service first then OpenVPN will find the address automatically