Data distribution thru accounts/users

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Bennie077

Data distribution thru accounts/users

Post by Bennie077 »

I'm after some advice. I'm not sure yet that I can download gargoyle for my modem atm, so I have been unable to play around to answer this question for myself.

I bought a smart TV in the same week I had NBN connected (Australian faster internet). It was great for the first 3 days until my two flatmates chewed up all the data. So I'm after a way to distribute (and maybe track) the data amongst household members.

From what I've read, gargoyle may answer some of my data distribution issues however I wonder if the software allows for my complete wish list.

Will gargoyle software allow me to create accounts or users where I can allocate an amount of data to a user not a device/MAC address?

For example, I want to be able to allocate flatmate A, flatmate B and myself with 20gig each so we can use it on any of our devices (iPads, phones, laptops, desktops). I don't want to allocate an amount per device incase it's not used on that device and they need it for another device.

Thanks in advance.

Lantis

Re: Data distribution thru accounts/users

Post by Lantis »

No, you don't assign people user accounts and attach quotas to those.
You setup a static IP binding for a MAC, and then you apply the quotas to the IPs.

You can do individual IPs (20GB per device), OR a group of IPs (20GB used totally between them).
Your management overhead in this scenario is capturing all of the existing devices, and then if any new devices come into the house, registering those.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fifonik

Re: Data distribution thru accounts/users

Post by fifonik »

Yup, quota per IPs ranges would do the trick.

In the simplest case it could be like this:
Mate A: 192.168.0.20 - 192.168.0.29
Mate B: 192.168.0.30 - 192.168.0.39
etc

IPs assigned by DHCP and enforced, MAC white-listed. So everything is managed in one place.