Question about wr1043 v1

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

forecast1

Question about wr1043 v1

Post by forecast1 »

I recently bought wr1043 v1 because I couldn't spend a lot of money, Is there a date until it stops receiving Gargoyle updates ? I saw that some models with 4mb flash lost support

Lantis

Re: Question about wr1043 v1

Post by Lantis »

There's no planned obsolescence, but here are the stats:
Flash: 8MB
RAM: 32MB

8MB of flash used to be a lot, now it's on the smaller side of what we support. With the increase in size of the firmware, we are now forced to strip a lot of functionality out, and then require you to plug in a USB stick and reinstall the extra functions once you have additional space.
A workaround, but not a great user experience in my opinion.

32MB of flash is also starting to get on the low side. This will usually be ok, but the act of installing plugins (as per above) can sometimes throw the router into an out of memory situation and the plugin installation will fail.

So we will do what we can, but we are starting to run up against some pretty hard limits.
Hope that helps.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.