Archer C7 and a lost password

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Avolow

Archer C7 and a lost password

Post by Avolow »

Hello,

I have the TP-Link Archer C7 and cant seem to get anywhere on resetting a forgotten/lost password. I have been reading forum posts for the last two days and am pretty sure I am getting it into failsafe mode, but cant log in using putty on telnet. It refuses connection. I found a post that said as of 1.10.0 (which is the version I am on) telnet is no longer used, I need to use SSH. However SSH will only take me to a log in prompt, and since I don't know the password I cant login to continue.

I am pretty sure this is going into failsafe. When I am plugging it in, I wait for the slow flashing of the WPS light, then start tapping the reset button till the flashes are a fast even flicker. I do not have internet connection at this point, and I can ping the IP address. But SSH still wants a password.

At this point even if I cant get the password reset and have do a hard reset and just wipe the slate clean, then I can re set up my settings and get back up and running. I just cant seem to find any info that works. :?

I am at a loss and dead in the water. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Avolow.

Lantis

Re: Archer C7 and a lost password

Post by Lantis »

Sounds like you're halfway there.
Once in failsafe mode, you need to login as "root" with no password. When it prompts you to enter a password, just press enter.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Avolow

Post by Avolow »

Thank you for your reply. :D

I was finally able to get into it last night (midnight), but at the SSH login I had to enter "password" in the password prompt before it let me in. Once in I tried the "mount_root" then "passwd", but it came back with an error saying that the files were read only, and it would not let me change the password. :?

It did let me do the factory reset. Been up most of the morning setting everything back up from the excel sheet I keep it all in. Have just about everything set, just waiting for a couple devices others have to log back in and get the restrictions setup before I make a config backup.

For the future, is there anything that can be done for the read only error (see below) when trying to reset the password?

passwd: /etc/passwd: Read-only file system
passwd: can't update password file /etc/passwd

Thank you again for the help. :D
Avolow.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

mount_root is supposed to solve that, so a bit peculiar that it didn't.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Avolow

Post by Avolow »

Thank you for your help. :D