Looking for a Gargoyle solution for established home networks

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

LoyLT

Looking for a Gargoyle solution for established home networks

Post by LoyLT »

I'm in the need of a solution to add Gargoyle's per-device usage tracking to existing home networks (specifically, a network where the homeowner has a perfectly fine $200+ wifi router that isn't Gargoyle compatible). I've been looking at the custom GL.iNet AR150 in the Gargoyle shop and think it'll do the job. I can set up the existing wifi router as a switch/access point (use the lan ports only and disable dhcp), and put the AR150 (disable wifi) between the wifi router and the internet modem.

I'm just curious though... is there currently any plans to make something similar with gigabit ports instead of 10/100 ports? For the few projects I'm currently looking at it really wouldn't matter since they're on satellite internet, so the AR150's 100Mbps ports wouldn't be a bottleneck. However, many people these days have internet speeds well over 100Mbps and might be interested in a gigabit version for the same purpose. (Then again, maybe not, since most folks with speeds that fast don't have monthly usage restrictions. But still, I think a gigabit version would be nice, or even a plain non-wifi gigabit network bridge that has the Gargoyle tracking and quota limiting capabilities.)

In any case, I'll probably order a couple AR150's from the shop in the next few days. ... unless someone has a better suggestion for my situation... I'm almost all ears.

Lantis

Re: Looking for a Gargoyle solution for established home networks

Post by Lantis »

Not at this stage that i am aware of.

If you're pushing more than 100-150mbps of internet speed from WAN -> LAN, the CPU will be the bottleneck on lower profile devices.

I haven't benchmarked the ar750, but at 650MHz (and the other benchmarking i have done) it will probably choke out around 105mbps with QoS enabled.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

LoyLT

Post by LoyLT »

ah ok, good point...

Well then my final question on this...

The store says "Buy two or more routers and shipping to anywhere in the U.S. is free" but I added two AR150's to the cart and it's saying $8.84 shipping. Is the free shipping offer still valid? Does someone manually run the credit card transactions and takes it off at that time?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No idea sorry, I’m outside the US. Get in touch with Eric via PM or email as he runs the store and distributes the hardware.
He usually takes a day or 2 to respond.
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=2
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/contact.php
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.