Logging into the current pre-installed gargoyle via an internet browser

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

James.bailey

Logging into the current pre-installed gargoyle via an internet browser

Post by James.bailey »

Yesterday, after hours of patient, and much appreciated, help from this forum, I was able to get my new pre-installed router (purchased from the gargoyle shop) to *either* provide internet wireless service *or*, by rewiring and connecting to a pc (in my case a Mac mini) with an Ethernet cable and thereby canceling wireless service, logging in to gargoyle to adjust settings.

On my previous gargoyle pre-installed router (which failed when some painters disconnected it) I was able to routinely log into gargoyle from my web browser while maintaining internet service to other users. I want to get back to that status with my new router.

A final note: when I did the original setup of the new router, I just followed the setup instructions (at least I think i did) on the single page presented to me and logged out. I did not go to any other gargoyle pages at this step, assuming I could do so later, as I could with the previous gargoyle router.

Hence my questions:

1. Is anyone using the new little router that gargoyle is presently selling ( model GL iNet 150M mini smart router) and successfully logging into it from a web browser?

2. If so, two obvious follow-on questions:

a. Did you do anything beyond the minimal setup when you first installed the router?

b. What exactly do you type in to your web browser to access gargoyle in the router?

I should add that, when I described how I did this on my previous router, I was cautioned by a forum member that “you were lucky.”

ispyisail

Re: Logging into the current pre-installed gargoyle via an internet browser

Post by ispyisail »

1. Is anyone using the new little router that gargoyle is presently selling ( model GL iNet 150M mini smart router) and successfully logging into it from a web browser?
yes
a. Did you do anything beyond the minimal setup when you first installed the router?
yes (sometimes, depends on what i'm doing)
b. What exactly do you type in to your web browser to access gargoyle in the router?
at the start always 192.168.1.1
I was cautioned by a forum member that “you were lucky.”
That was because it appeared that you were plugging in cables randomly?

Gargoyle only works LAN to WAN, you had LAN to LAN which effectively turns off gargoyle and you have a basic network switch.

The assumption on the other thread was you accidentally turned off DHCP.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If you want to administer it from within the LAN, use 192.168.1.1.

If you want to remotely administer, you’ll need to know the WAN IP, and allow access to the web interface over WAN
OR
Setup OpenVPN to tunnel into the LAN and then use it as if you were inside LAN
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

I guess I understand, but I can't explain it to him.
When set up a remote site access, it gets to the router from every location and even from the LAN thanks to loopback, mobile and mini mac.

We do not know what the original WAN IP was, it probably has to set a fixed IP on the WAN interface.

Yesterday I reached the stage that pinging from my computer and getting a positive answer from his router.

There's a lot of settings to do step by step and my recommendation is to ask someone close to your friends for help with the setup.

At speed:
1) Login to the router: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11987&start=20#p53023
2) Set up a web access: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11987#p53001
3) Set a static IP WAN to access from outside

I'd like to help him better, but I don't know how.

P.S. I wouldn't use OpenVPN yet (otherwise good idea). If you have a VPN server, you must have a VPN client installed. He is not an advanced user and has a basic setup problem.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

On my previous gargoyle pre-installed router (which failed when some painters disconnected it) I was able to routinely log into gargoyle from my web browser while maintaining internet service to other users. I want to get back to that status with my new router.
From what location?

Inside the LAN or form the outside world.

James.bailey

Post by James.bailey »

Thank you all for hanging with me.

On my previous router, I only logged in locally and that is all I hope to do this time around.

One of my obstacles is that it will be several weeks before I am back to the site where the new router is installed. I will try To wake up this thread when I am on that site. Until then, not much we can do.

James