4g Router compatible with Gargolye

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Lauchiemb

4g Router compatible with Gargolye

Post by Lauchiemb »

Hi
Is there a 4G router on the market that is compatible with Gargyle. I am looking for an internet solution for my Island based holiday rental that has no traditional broadband. Lots of guests wish to stream TV but we only have a max of 200 GB a month and I want to restrict guest usage by the week.

Lantis

Re: 4g Router compatible with Gargolye

Post by Lantis »

Typically we would recommend a normal router with a 3G/4G USB modem attached.
The only option I’m aware of for an all-in-one solution is made by GL.iNet, but does not have Gargoyle support.

The Huawei e3372 is a relatively cheap example of the USB solution.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

4g USB dongle works on the more powerful routers.

Unfortunately the user base that reports back to this web site is small (4G) therefore it can be a bit hit and miss with the more obscure features.

Chances of success are higher with:

TL-Archer C7 v2 with Huawei E3372 4G LTE USB Modem

Lauchiemb

Post by Lauchiemb »

Hi Thanks.
I do not need a all in one solution by any means, so happy to buy a TL-Archer C7 v2 and then plug in a USB modem of some sort.
I don't really understand what the Gargolye shop offering is, that has Gargoyle already built in. Is that a replacement for the TL-Archer C7 v2 or does it plug in to the TL-Archer C7 v2?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That would be instead of the Archer. It is a fully capable router in its own rights, but is designed to be small form factor. It also happens to be made by GL.iNet that i mentioned before (at least originally). I don't know if Eric is doing any customisation to the product (besides loading Gargoyle).

If you intend to run high internet speeds, i'd probably look at a the Archer instead, but given you're looking at a USB dongle we're probably not talking about blazing speeds.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I don't really understand what the Gargolye shop offering is
This is a good router and should work but its under-powered.

In some ways its probably a good place to start. Check out the firmware, if you need more power get a bigger router.

uncle john

Post by uncle john »

The TP Link TP-VR400 is compatible with the Huawei E3372 USB modem. Which (if any) Gargoyle firmware would be compatible with it?