Off Grid LAN Design - for bandwidth sharing

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

WeBelieveNetwork

Off Grid LAN Design - for bandwidth sharing

Post by WeBelieveNetwork »

Hello, I'm looking for some help and think I might be in the right vicinity but not confident, I'm not very good at LAN/IP/DNS/Infrastructure side of things!
I'm designing the lowest-cost, easiest deployment for an off-grid system for marginalised rural communities. I've put a network design on this webpage if you could have a look and let me know if Gargoyle would be a good fit it'd be really appreciated?
Oh I can't put a link or add the design as an image... it's on a website called tunaamini dot org
under village transformation (hope that isn't too much cheating?!)
OK
Main considerations:
1 Sharing a fairly small amount of bandwidth among several users (probably 1 SIM with 10GB/month) using a sim-enabled router (or mifi unit linked to gargoyle router?)
2 ability to block certain categories of web/app traffic (movies/cartoons/image intense sites/apps like Instagram)
3 ability to remotely administer once setup (change priorities, add remove devices)
4 robust rebooting, as power will run out several times/month
5 low power requirement
thanks once again

ispyisail

Re: Off Grid LAN Design - for bandwidth sharing

Post by ispyisail »

Gargoyle in theory can do all things in your list

BUT
2 ability to block certain categories of web/app traffic (movies/cartoons/image intense sites/apps like Instagram)
But this most likely won't be that successful (encrypted traffic)?

Getting the SIM to work could be tricky depending on how you try to set it up?