LinksysWRT3200ACM, image corrupted?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

rdeis

LinksysWRT3200ACM

Post by rdeis »

Ok, I have the WRT3200ACM, and I have the files:
gargoyle_1.11.0-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-factory.img
gargoyle_1.11.0-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

I have logged into the router and opened the connectivity page and the "basic" tab.

To the right there is a section labeled "router firmware update" with two boxes, the lower of which is "manual" with a "select file" button.

Is Step 1 is to select the "...factory.img" file and then push the "start" button?

The different file extensions between the factory and sysupgrade files got my attention, so I want to double check...

rdeis

LinksysWRT3200ACM, image corrupted?

Post by rdeis »

Hi, all. New guy here.

Do I use the router's browser to install the .img directly?

My computer is telling me that the .img file is corrupt. Both the Mac and teh WIndows box are saying the same thing. I presume winzip is trying to mount the image and can't-- Is that a problem, or is the .img just special to the firmware so winzip doesn't recognize it?

The "upgrade" file is a .bin. From the youtube, it appears that I install the .img first and then the .bin, but I wanted to double check. I'm a software guy, not an IT guy, so I'm afraid of breaking things!

Lantis

Re: LinksysWRT3200ACM, image corrupted?

Post by Lantis »

Your computer won’t understand the .img file. It is specially crafted for your particular brand/model of router.
Don’t allow winzip or any other application to attempt any kind of decompression or mounting of the image in case it modifies the image in some way.
It is easiest to just forget the file extensions and just look at the file names.

The factory file is for flashing from the OEM firmware, and the sysupgrade is for upgrading versions after that.
It is not necessary to immediately upgrade after the initial flash, it is sufficient.

PS. One topic should cover both your questions here :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rdeis

Re: LinksysWRT3200ACM, image corrupted?

Post by rdeis »

Excellent, thanks much! I'll try flashing this evening and report back.

> PS. One topic should cover both your questions here :)

Sorry about that, I wasn't sure the first one had posted. I got (appropriately) caught in the stupid-new-guy-moderator filter!