TL-WR902AC

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

jvachez

Re: TL-WR902AC

Post by jvachez »

Hello !

I am using TL-WR902AC v3 to have Wifi on an ethernet NVR.
but TL-WR902AC v3 with official firwmare doesn't detect 5Ghz DFS channel like channel 100.

Does Gargoyle firmware solves with problem ?

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

jvachez wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:57 am
TL-WR902AC v3 with official firwmare doesn't detect 5Ghz DFS channel like channel 100.

Does Gargoyle firmware solves with problem ?
If you can't use DFS channels with the OEM factory firmware I very much doubt that any other firmware will "fix" the problem - it means that you are in an area where DFS channels are off limits. The only thing to check is that the country code is set correctly.

jvachez

Post by jvachez »

It not an area problem. Channels are allowed in my country (France). There's no country choice in official firmware. There's only EU and US firmware. I use EU firmware.

The source I try to connect is on channel 100 DFS. It's an official router provided by my ISP with default configuration, so channel is allowed.

The official reason given of TP-Link forum is :
"it only supports band 1 for the 5GHz (channel: 36~48), which is designed to comply with that of CE regulation"
Last edited by jvachez on Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It is likely to work, but you won't know until you try.
It is most likely that the limitation is software only, but there is always a chance that the manufacturer borked the hardware on purpose.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

According to the OpenWrt build recipe there appears to be only one hardware ID for both US and EU market TL-WR902AC v3s (and OpenWrt definitely appears to install and run on both variants). OpenWrt's device page includes a WiFi capability report which includes the upper 5GHz channels so I think Lantis is right that it will work, however there's also a note about an issue with the transmitted power level on 5GHz which doesn't appear to have been resolved yet (as I read the PR comments) - this would unfortunately affect Gargoyle builds as well and severely restrict range.

jvachez

Post by jvachez »

I have tested.

Good news ! Channel 100 DFS channels are detected !