FTTN modem advice, I have ArcherC7 & WRT1900ACS

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

stevencox

FTTN modem advice, I have ArcherC7 & WRT1900ACS

Post by stevencox »

Going to try out FTTN service. Currently I have a TP-Link Archer C7 v2 running gargoyle_1.11.x_rc5 superbly on a Nuskope (Wireless service). I need to get a vdsl2 modem for the FTTN, any advice on what to go for? Is there one fully supported by Gargoyle perhaps with good wifi and GB LAN ports? Alternately and more likely just a recommendation on a decent modem I could put in bridge mode perhaps? or I noticed a thread here where I think Lantis commented that he does similar - let the new suggested modem authenticate and stick the ArcherC7 (or similar) running Gargoyle in a DMZ off of the modem to handle the LAN and WIFI. As it's FTTN the worst of NBN type connections, I just need to pick a modem that's going to perform as best as possible to make up for the FTTN shortcomings ... A bit of googling shows the D-Link DSL-5300 Cobra seems to get good sync speeds and reliable, but doesn't seem to run Gargoyle, a bit of an overkill to use just as a dumb modem.

top_s

Re: FTTN modem advice, I have ArcherC7 & WRT1900ACS

Post by top_s »

Lantis's setup is a way to go.
That has been my setup for many years now:
- Old Setup for 4+ years, used: ISP's VDSL Sagemcom Modem/Router - DMZ - Gargoyle Router; no problems at all
- Current setup (about 2 months): ISP's Fiber modem/router - PPPOE - Gargoyle Router; no problems at all
WDR4300 v1 (stock)
WR941nd v2 (1.9.2)
WA901nd v2 (1.6.2)
2x WR741nd (1.6.2)

(Up to) 1gbps up/down link

top_s

Post by top_s »

DSL-5300 is an absolute overkill as a dumb modem. If your ISP does not provide you a modem, most budget modems will work.

If you want an all-in-one device, openwrt supports some (https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_modem ... m_%3DVDSL2). Don't have any info on how it will behave though.
WDR4300 v1 (stock)
WR941nd v2 (1.9.2)
WA901nd v2 (1.6.2)
2x WR741nd (1.6.2)

(Up to) 1gbps up/down link

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I agree that you should just run the RSP modem, and then hang a Gargoyle off the back of it in the configurations listed above.
This will be the easiest setup, and will allow your phone line to work correctly. Most RSPs don’t make public the settings required to run your own SIP server for VOIP so you’re stuck with their offering on the modem. That is, if you want a home phone anymore.

How far from the node are you? What type of speed are you expecting?
If you’re looking > 50mbps, you may struggle with the Archer with QoS and quotas enabled. I think it might go to 75mbps, although I’m not sure. Other users can give that feedback.

Oh, and you’re not on the worst of the NBN. You could have fixed wireless or satellite. ;)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stevencox

Post by stevencox »

Thank you, I am grateful for the inputs. Will the WRT1900ACS handle things better do you think? I had only stopped using it as it runs fairly hot. We are only 3 in the house, at most only 2xNetflix at a time then web browsing. Mind you as I already have it I can test myself lol! I did some googling and the following 3 seem decent contenders (reviews on line sync) for the modem, in my order of preference - any suggestions otherwise or advice.
D-Link DSL-2888A Python ~ $179.00
Netcomm NF18ACV ~ $181.67
TP-Link VR600 ~189.00
Ohh sorry, not going for voip, I reckon I will be about 100-200m depending on how the cables are run from the box.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can’t give any advice on the modems unfortunately. I just run the RSP modem.

The WRT1900ACS will handle the speed no sweat. So that would be a good contender if the Archer can’t keep up.

At 100-200m from the node, with any luck you’ll be in the 80mbps range.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.