Router recommendation please?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

fahd

Router recommendation please?

Post by fahd »

Hi there,

Long time Ddwrt user here. Looking to switch to gargoyle for the bandwidth /data capping features.

I was going to pick up an archer c7 until I saw the warning on the download page about recent versions getting bricked.

Can you please recommend a router? Approx 100 devices on our full gigabit network with a 100mbps internet connection.

Don't really need wireless as that is handled through other access point devices. Main purpose of this gargoyle box will be to limit WAN data usage on a per device /MAC basis. I can also offload firewall, DNS etc to a pfsense box if needed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lantis

Re: Router recommendation please?

Post by Lantis »

The archer is fine in the latest versions. That warning is specifically for older versions of the firmware on new versions of the hardware.

That being said, I’m not sure the archer is quite fast enough with all features enabled for 100mbps.
Someone who owns one would have to confirm.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fahd

Post by fahd »

Oh I see. Thanks for that clarification. I will just get a C7 and see how it goes. Or do you have any other suggestions for approx $100?

Is it possible to run gargoyle on x86-64? If so, I could use my pfsense box for this which is quite powerful. I suppose this will involve a lot more work and complexity. Is it worth going this route?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

We have an unofficial release of an upcoming version which runs great of x64.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11829

If you already have hardware around capable, that might be a good “try before you buy” so to speak.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fahd

Post by fahd »

Thanks. I will check that out but will wait for a stable release.

Regarding the archer c7, the version currently available is v5. Are these supported? And can you run the v2 firmware or need to build from source?

Thanks again for all the help!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The v5 is only supported in the pre-release from memory