TP-WDR3600 installation double check

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

curiouskiwi

TP-WDR3600 installation double check

Post by curiouskiwi »

Dear all,

I'll instile gargoyle on an TP-WDR3600 router that i'll be using with my roommates to split data plan 200GB/month. I wouldn't like to brick my router so just making sure.

i've read very nice installation guide[1] but now i'm confused. is it nececary to install version 1.6.2 as mentioned in the gude and then updating it via sysupgrade.bin file for version 1.10 or is it just fine to install 1.10 right away since file gargoyle_1.10.0-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr3600-v1-squashfs-factory.bin is available?

[1] https://www.gargoyle-router[dot]com/wiki/doku.php?id=tp-link-install

Hope is not very stupid and it helps somone else too,
Matej

Lantis

Re: TP-WDR3600 installation double check

Post by Lantis »

You should be fine to go straight to 1.10, or even 1.11 in the near future.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

curiouskiwi

Post by curiouskiwi »

Wooow that was a fast reply. thanks a lot.

i've seen 11.0.x but is not available for wdr3600. will test 10.0 tomorrow.

Thanks a lot again. cheers.

curiouskiwi

Post by curiouskiwi »

Thanks for making Gargoyle. I installed it no problem, initial setup was simple.

Three more things.

Is there a way to separately throttle uppload and download speed? i.e. i want to throttle upload when 10GBs/IP are used and download when 40GBs/IP are used?

If i want four specific hostnames to have unlimited speed untill they reached 50GB i gotta setup static ips with their MAc addresses and then make quotas for them right? i.e. i've setup quota for IPs 192.168.1.50, 192.168.1.51, 192.168.1.52, 192.168.1.53. (DHCP is *.100-*.249)

And what to do if i want everyone else on wi-fi to have limited/throttled wi-fi while using it? is it ok to do it like this:

Applies to: All Individual Hosts Without Explicit Quotas
Max Upload: Unlimited
Max Download: Unlimited
Max Total Up+Down: 1.000 MBytes *this is the setting i don't like ;)
Quota Resets: Every Day
Reset Hour: 10.00 AM
Quota Is Active: Always
When Exceeded: Throttle Bandwidth
Upload Limit: 96 kBytes/s
Download Limit: 192 kBytes/s

Thanks a lot,
Matej

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

1. No I don’t believe so
2. Yes
3. That is one way of doing it. Another would be using QoS and creating a slow class and rules to drive anyone that isn’t your target into the faster class.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.