What about Asus routers?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

danielwritesback

Re: What about Asus routers?

Post by danielwritesback »

I see there's new 1.11rc5 support for rt-ac51u, rt-n12p, rt-n14u.
Those should work nicely with Gargoyle.

However, there are other models from Asus, which require Broadcom binaries, such as WL. Broadcom routers such as rt-n66u, rt-n16, wl-520gu, rt-ac6x, rt-n5x, rt-ac56s, rtac65u, rt-ac3200, rt-n18u, require the closed source binaries, and they don't run well on the openwrt generic drivers. Openwrt and Gargoyle don't do closed source. Freshtomato is an option with the closed source binaries needed for those Broadcom models to run correctly. My attempt to simulate Gargoyle's QOS with tomato's old style QOS: Use rules 1,3,5 as high (min20%,max100%), medium (min7%,max100%), low (min 1%, max95%), delete the hoarder's mess of classifications in favor of just 3, high (less than 1k), medium (less than 512k), low (everything else). That won't make tomato adaptive, but you can make it pretend quickly.
However, if you want Gargoyle's performance, probably should shop for a router that supports Gargoyle.

I was thinking that the brands on the inside of the router could be more relevant than the brand on the outside of the router. Mainly, like this:
Atheros > Gargoyle
Atheros-IPQ > OpenWRT
Broadcom > Tomato
Marvell ARM > Gargoyle
Mediatek > Gargoyle
PC router > Gargoyle
Last edited by danielwritesback on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ViBE

Re: What about Asus routers?

Post by ViBE »

RT-AC58U is not on the list :(