Recommend a new router for Gargoyle?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

fifonik

Re: Recommend a new router for Gargoyle?

Post by fifonik »

Yup, BW mon can only be switched OFF through CLI so looks like BW mon was ON.
Based on this it looks like QoS not as resource expensive as BW mon so I believe the 1900 can do 400/20 at least when you switch BW mon OFF.

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

I don't want to post ads but if anyone else is interested in this router, I found refurbished Linksys WRT1900ACS on newegg for $82. I couldn't pass that up.

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

Well, that didn't work out like I had hoped.

I got the 1900acs today and wow, the linksys firmware sucks donkey balls. It's just horrible. Even the TP-link firmware on my Archer c7 is way better and Gargoyle is so much better it's like night and day.

I installed Gargoyle 1.10 onto the linksys and it runs just as fast as the Archer C7 did with stock firmware and hardware NAT turned on. That's about 480mpbs down and 23 up. The Archer C7 couldn't do better than 100-150mbps with Gargoyle even with no QoS. That's the cpu limitations at work.

I was hoping my bufferbloat scores on dslreports would be better with this router but they're still D. Same as the Archer was. With QoS enabled it goes to As but the total speed plummets to around 150-185mpbs down and even lower with ACC turned on.

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

I don't know if anyone is still reading this but it might be useful for developers of Gargoyle. I'm currently testing out the WRT1900acs with openwrt/Lede 18.06 and it's QoS using Cake and the simple QoS script gives me much better speed than I could get with Gargoyle's QoS. Plus an A rating for bufferbloat.

I'm sure no expert where all this is concerned and while I much prefer Gargoyle's interface, OpenWrt appears to be working better for my speeds on this router. I also tried dd-wrt and couldn't even get the 5ghz radio to work with that.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’m sure with a bit of tuning you would have seen better results.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

Lantis wrote:I’m sure with a bit of tuning you would have seen better results.
Better results with Gargoyle or Openwrt? With Gargoyle I just turned on the default QoS. I didn't set anything but the upload and download values. Then also used ACC which seemed to reduce total bandwidth even further.

I went through various settings with help from this forum on my older, Archer C7. Everyone told me the default QoS were the best settings to use and I was just expecting too much from an under-powered router.

Like I said, I much prefer Gargoyle's easy to use GUI. If i'm missing something obvious, I'd try it again.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

ACC needs tuning or it will be too aggressive on a high speed line.
I will do tests at some point to check max throughout
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

- Have you tried 1.10.0 or 1.10.x?
- Have you tried to switch off BW mon

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

I tried Gargoyle 1.10.. I didn't think to turn off bandwidth monitor. Would it account for that big a difference in download speed?

I went from 480mbps (spectrum over provisions to about 480/23) to about 150-180mbps just from turning on Gargoyle's QoS with the default settings and the upload bandwidth set to 450000kbps then 400000 then 350000. All gave me about the same speed so I thought something was limiting the throughput. It went lower still using ACC. I don't really need QoS. I was just experimenting to see if I could bet my bufferbloat to an A and QoS appears to be the only way. Gargoyle's QoS gives me that but again, with a huge hit to the download speed.

I have no idea why but Openwrt 18.06.1 doesn't seem to cause nearly the same hit on download speed with it's version of QoS.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

They are completely different algorithms