Line Upgraded - what next

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

IanBlakeley

Line Upgraded - what next

Post by IanBlakeley »

I see some similar discussions but not that I can fully answer my questions so sorry for what maybe a similar post. My ISP has just upgraded the line from 100/100 fibre to 500/500 fibre and now of course my TP-Link WDR-3600 which is running Gargoyle and which I use in place of the ISP provided DIR-850L is the bottleneck, currently getting around 110/110 on speed test.

The ISP are going to provide an upgraded router in a week or so a TP-Link Archer AC1200, I don't think this is one of the devices supported by gargoyle and if the local forums are to be believed it too struggles on a 500Mbps link to achieve full upload. I'd love to be wrong here.

My local computer shops only stock basic consumer grade routers, they can order in specially various TP-Link devices from the C2300, C3150, C5400 or C5400x none of which I could find in the supported list if I wanted to run Gargoyle on them.

The alternative is I ship something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MF9OQC8 from the UK when we have visitors in December which I am sure is supported if I want to flash Gargoyle to it.

So far I'd like to stick with Gargoyle, the current device was needing regular reboots before I chucked the OEM FW and now apart from if I make any changes I can basically forget it's there. Having the VPN over it for when I am away is a bonus too.

I'd appreciate any thoughts

ispyisail

Re: Line Upgraded - what next

Post by ispyisail »

IanBlakeley

Post by IanBlakeley »

Thanks. Building one has crossed mind, I'd guess I'd not need to bother with the wireless, just use the existing routers as APs. We're moving next year to a smaller place so I may get away with a single AP there.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Wifi:300MB WiFi and dual antennas are included
I hope it comes with wifi

IanBlakeley

Post by IanBlakeley »

IanBlakeley wrote:The ISP are going to provide an upgraded router in a week or so a TP-Link Archer AC1200,
What's turned up is a C1200 V1 https://www.tp-link.com/za/products/det ... C1200.html which with the stock firmware is somewhat lacking, I managed to get the ISP branded locked down version off and the TPLink OEM on, guess I now have to decide if/when to spring for better HW cannot see this in the list of devices which will run Gargoyle.