gargoyle in a mac household?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

borealcat

gargoyle in a mac household?

Post by borealcat »

I have a modem for dsl from the phone company/internet provider, going to my apple airport time capsule (which acts as the wireless hub).

Could I set up a recommended router between the modem and the airport time capsule? Is uploading the gargoyle firmware and adjusting it possible from a mac?

Thanks for any insights!

Lantis

Re: gargoyle in a mac household?

Post by Lantis »

Yes, but it would be best to avoid a double/triple NAT situation if you can

Having the time capsule as just part of the LAN would be best.
Gargoyle is configured via a browser and so is largely platform independent.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

StingRay

Post by StingRay »

Just a comment as I had a fair bit of experience with Apple routers plus gargoyle.. and of course using a Mac (or Mac OS to be strict)

Bridging the modem and using PPPOE was very unsuccessful with Time Capsule. Or any other Apple wireless router over several generations of hardware and firmware. Some people have no issues.. others and a fair number of others have severe issues. My ISP did use crappy DSLAM (HuaWei rubbish). When I was passed back to Telstra, and changed back to broadcom based DSLAM (probably Ericsson) it might have been OK..

Gargoyle worked fairly poorly as well.. I sometimes had little choice but to double NAT.. just to get modem to establish a session. When my son needed to run citrix sessions from home I was forced to change setup completely and went for Asus router to a bridged ADSL which was hugely better. I was sadly forced to forgo the gargoyle.. which I still like.. the Asus did work well.

The time capsule was not great in bridge and I eventually developed a different method of using it.. of running as DHCP server.. without NAT. This worked really well.

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7373047

As far as the Mac was concerned I ran gargoyle router for many years without issues.

I tried to setup Time Machine add ons to a WRT1200AC running gargoyle .. but was not successful.

Asus include Time Machine in their firmware.. which was a bit flakey depending on version.. but it would be nice to remove the Time Capsule requirement since Apple have stopped production and a Time Machine backup target would be convenient.

I am getting too old but since we finally got off ADSL to NBN fibre to the curb service.. I can run just about any wireless router without issues. Except of course Apple routers which do not include vlan on wan if you choose the wrong ISP.

borealcat

Post by borealcat »

Hi folks,

Thanks for those posts, I apologise for not responding earlier, I must not have email notifications on. I just wanted to say I invested in the router distributed on the gargoyle site, with gargoyle pre installed. I plugged it between DSL modem and airport time capsule base station, and switched base station to bridge. It worked right away. Interestingly, I needed to set manual IP addresses for the LAN before, somehow different devices would get conflicting IP's. Now the gargoyle modem is assigning new IP addresses without conflicts, through the bridged base station. The base station also feeds an ethernet splitter, and another router in another building by cable, without issues (so far!). Gargoyle itself is quite amazing, happy to see where usage is, so seamless and graphically displayed, next step will be to learn applying throttles to devices. Thanks for the sharing of experience and resources, a lot of that was over my head, fortunately I did not have to troubleshoot at that level... yet... knock on wood...