Router for 1Gb connection

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

setham

Router for 1Gb connection

Post by setham »

Hello,

I just upgraded my internet service from 250/12 Mb to 1Gb/40 Mb (contracted not actual).

These were my connection speed tests, from the CLI prior and after the upgrade on a wrt1200ac/gargoyle 1.10.0.

Prior (250/12 Mb)
230/12 - QoS disable
180/11 - QoS enabled (for download & upload)

Current (1Gb/40 Mb)
570/40 - QoS disable
350/38 - QoS enabled (for download & upload)
-
960/42 - PC connected to the cable modem

I tried speed tests with Gargoyle 1.10.0 and OpenWRT 18.06.1 (sans QoS) and results were similar.

It seems that the wrt1200ac cannot handle the 1Gb connection capping the throughput to ~600 Mb.

Does anyone have experience with a router, preferable just a wired-router without WiFi, where I can install Gargoyle with a through put before QoS close to 1Gb?

Thanks

Lantis

Re: Router for 1Gb connection

Post by Lantis »

For gigabit you’ll need to look at an x86 device.
There are small form factor, low power PCs for this kind of job.

I can’t give any recommendations for a specific device, but it has been discussed at the Openwrt forums not too long ago and there were amazon links.
If you google “mini pc firewall” those are the kinds of devices recommended.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

mojolacerator

Re: Router for 1Gb connection

Post by mojolacerator »

Find a PC 4-5 years old, and put Gargoyle or Openwrt on it, you won't believe how fast it is. Any Small form factor PC will work and you can hide them anywhere. I picked one up off Kijiji for $80. put a $35 ssd in it, had the extra Ethernet/port card lying around. You won't waste money on a consumer router again.

if you haven't done it before, it can seem complicated, but it is a breeze. Good post here:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/how-to-inst ... -x86/14601
Gargoyle

i5-3550, 8gb ram, 120gb ssd