Wireguard on Gargoyle

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

adm1jtg

Wireguard on Gargoyle

Post by adm1jtg »

Not well versed on router or openwrt stuff but wanting to install azire vpn service using wireguard protocol on my gargayle router (TL-Archer C7 v2 if it matters).

Has anyone done this successfully? If so is it something a noob could do? Simple step by step would likely be needed.

Lantis

Re: Wireguard on Gargoyle

Post by Lantis »

You would need to use Gargoyle 1.11.x which is currently in development. You could then follow the instructions relevant to Openwrt.

I have this on my list of things to test and if it works well I’ll try to make it into a plugin similar to OpenVPN. But it is complex to test and takes time.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

adm1jtg

Post by adm1jtg »

I appreciate the quick reply. Since 1.11x is not even listed on the main downloads page I am assuming we are a LONG ways off from a stable version.

I am just not fluent enough in either router stuff's or linux to even think about taking on something thats not on the stable branch.

Do you think we will have a stable 1.11x before end of year?

Just looked at the history of releases and seems when 1.11x is released it will be on the experimental branch following previous patterns of stable, experimental, stable.

Or is 1.11x a unique situation since its the first build after the remerging or openwrt and lede?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

As you noticed, by definition it will be “experimental”. Often these builds are only dodgy for a month or so after release and then we squash all the bugs.

I’ve been running 1.11.x on my main router for several months now.

Yes it will be released this year. I can’t give a date yet as I don’t control the releases. But it is close to ready in my opinion.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

adm1jtg

Post by adm1jtg »

Is there a reason on the main downloads there is not even an entry for the 1.1x or is that what you were saying its almost ready and when it is it will appear there?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

1.11x
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11711

1.10x (much improved over 1.10)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11544

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

When it is ready it will appear. Betas are available as noted above.

adm1jtg

Post by adm1jtg »

Have been re-evaluating vpn and have 2 questions...

1) Is there an easy to use vpn addin/module that utilizes the gui for any version of 1.1x.x (looking closely at nordvpn)
2) Am I chasing windmills as I have an archer c2, is the cpu to weak to get a reasonable result on vpn even if the option exists

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

A lot depends on your internet speed

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

1. Yes there is, but it is for setting up more point to point VPN rather than a provider based product (there are some tutorials in the forum for doing what you are after but it is manual work)
2. You won’t get good VPN speeds I expect