reccomened a router for my config

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Gros21

reccomened a router for my config

Post by Gros21 »

Well im over the stock tp links vr600 lack of monitoring so im thinking of going.

Stock supplied iinet modem (disable wifi)
into gargoyle router TL-WDR3600 (will need to buy) (disable wifi)
into VR600 that will handle the bulk of my wifi
dlink Dap 1650 that will create wifi hotspot at tv area that will serve upstairs and supply 4 lan ports

Or am i better off getting a decent supported router that has at least AC1600 to make it more of a mesh network then move the vr600 upstairs for tv area

There is a wired connection upstairs if it helps.

internet is nbn 50mbs and i have a 32tb nas that streams 1080p to a max of 2 devices

Gros21

Re: reccomened a router for my config

Post by Gros21 »

Oh should mention gargyle will only be used for qos (limit my nas downloading automaticly) and making sure phones have first use of data (not uncommon to have 3-4 phones on youtube) ps4 may be used for netflix.

Then really only moniter my devices useage. Tp'link has issues seeing devices connected via my dlink

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It sounds like you’re over complicating your devices.
Also, Gargoyle can’t see through the dlink either if it is acting in a router mode.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Gros21

Post by Gros21 »

I may get rid of the D-Link.

What would u reccomened then?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Get a single router which will run Gargoyle and give good wireless performance.
If you really do have coverage issues upstairs and you have a wired backbone available, place a second router there with all features disabled and connected via the LAN port. Then all it is doing is extending the Gargoyle LAN wirelessly.

At 50mbps you want a mid-upper tier consumer router. There’s plenty of recommendations for you to look at. If you have specific questions let us know.

The WDR3600 will run Gargoyle great but I don’t know if it will do 50mbps. It also is only 802.11n compliant.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Gros21

Post by Gros21 »

I could put the vr600 up stairs.

Do you have a reccomened model?

Seems hard to find a v2 tp-link Archer C7

See you are in Aus if u have a spare I’ll buy it.

Nets 50mbit or what ever the mid level is arround 4mbs download speed.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I don’t sell routers sorry.
Ebay will be your best bet, but it is always hard to make sure you are getting the exact model you are after.

Gros21

Post by Gros21 »

Worth a crack.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t use a gargoyle router disable wifi (or use it as a 2ndary wifi point) and loop into my current vr600. Sure it an extra device but would mean approx $75 for a decent router.

It would also get me extra lan ports

In the mean time I’ve just limited my nas’s speed on downloads.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It can only control the speed of downstream devices.
And in order to do so must be operating as a gateway. This means your NAS may not be accessible from upstream devices due to the change in subnets

Gros21

Post by Gros21 »

Nas would be plunged into Gargoyle router. Only thing before gargoyle would be the stock crap modem.

Yea my old place ran gargoyle router and we had a seperate gateway. I didn’t do much of the configuring of that network. But we had 3 or so switches and at least 3 wifi routers after the gargoyle router.

I admit I don’t know much about that side of it but can kind of get my way arround gargoyle.