Bandwidth Monitoring Help

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

cyberrouter

Bandwidth Monitoring Help

Post by cyberrouter »

My ISP has a web based tool that shows me the past and current month bandwidth usage totals averaging around 400G/Month. I don't think I come close to 400G/Month.

I want to install a router that can monitor bandwidth utilization per device/IP to determine who the top talkers are.

Will Gargoyle allow me to perform Bandwidth Monitoring per device/IP that are both LAN and Wireless connected to the ISP WAN connection?

Is Gargoyle the best firmware replacement for B/W monitoring?

Before I replace any f/w on my router I would like to know
what other non-Gargoyle firmware replacements allow B/W monitoring and which f/w replacement does the best B/W monitoring?

Much thanks for any detail. :?

cyberrouter

Lantis

Re: Bandwidth Monitoring Help

Post by Lantis »

To achieve this, Gargoyle must be between your clients and the internet i.e. it becomes your new gateway. Just clarifying that in case you thought it was a passive leech that can just sniff the network.

It is easy to setup and will show your bandwidth per device.

There are a few alternatives but I wouldn’t class them as fully featured or easy to use.

Your WAN speed is an important factor in this decision. Gargoyle takes a lot of processing power and can be a bottleneck if high speeds are demanded on a low spec router.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

cyberrouter

Post by cyberrouter »

Lantis wrote:To achieve this, Gargoyle must be between your clients and the internet i.e. it becomes your new gateway. Just clarifying that in case you thought it was a passive leech that can just sniff the network.

It is easy to setup and will show your bandwidth per device.

There are a few alternatives but I wouldn’t class them as fully featured or easy to use.

Your WAN speed is an important factor in this decision. Gargoyle takes a lot of processing power and can be a bottleneck if high speeds are demanded on a low spec router.
Thanks for the reply Lantis. In another thread, I saw a response that Gargoyle can monitor B/W between the LAN connected devices and the WAN/ISP. It did not mention the WiFi connected devices.

Can Gargoyle monitor B/W between the LAN and WiFi connected devices and the WAN/ISP?

I have two old Routers that I will use if they support Gargoyle. A Cisco/Linksys WRT120N and a Linksys WRT54GS v6. I will research to see if they are supported. If they are considered a low spec router and are slow, I am OK with that in that I only want to use them temporarily to determine who the B/W top talkers are.

What is your opinion on using a slow router temporarily to determine the B/W hogs?

Can you share some of the other B/W monitoring F/W replacements? While they might not be as robust they may run on my old routers where Gargoyle would not.

I am now going to go see if my two old routers will support Gargoyle.

Much thanks:

cyberrouter

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The LAN (wired clients) and wifi (wireless clients) are bridged into a single LAN. Gargoyle monitors between LAN and WAN.
It cannot monitor LAN-LAN, that is to say that if they are saturating your local network, Gargoyle won’t be able to tell you.

Both of those routers are low spec, and in fact the wrt54gs is not supported at all by anything as far as I can figure out.
I did not find much information on the other router either.

Alternatives are Openwrt with nlbwmon, Yamon, ddwrt, tomato etc. but, I don’t know much about these at all and can’t comment on whether they will fit your needs.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

cyberrouter

Post by cyberrouter »

Lantis

Thanks for your fast response. You are correct on the old routers I was going to use. My research showed them as not an option for Gargoyle.

I have a eBay bid on a Linksys WRT1200AC V2
If I win it I will load Gargoyle on it and give the Bandwidth Monitor capabilities a spin. Hopefully I will be able to find what device(s) and associated application(s) are causing my excessive bandwidth usage.

Much thanks.

cyberrouter