Wavlink N300 and gargoyle ?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

alexmbra

Wavlink N300 and gargoyle ?

Post by alexmbra »

Hi.

I was using gargoyle on a repeater that I own, to repeate an outside free wifi signal(Fonera) and it was working great. But here at my workplace, the company forbide us to use any internet. And I was using it to study, to learn. :(

Anyway, I bought this one here, that looks like a mobile charger, so I can use it without anyone suspect of it: wavlink N300 WN581N2.

I was able to connect to the free wifi exterior signal. But it is not allowing me to connect to the internet.
Does anyone knows if it is possible to use this one with Gargoyle or other system? And if not possible, does anyone knows of another one that works, but needs to be very small, like that one.

Thanks

d3fz

Re: Wavlink N300 and gargoyle ?

Post by d3fz »

Your router is not supported by Gargoyle/OpenWRT.

This one is also pretty small and ships with Gargoyle already installed.

One interesting feature it has:
The low power consumption of this router means that it can be powered in multiple ways. The router can be powered by the included charger, by connecting to a computer or laptop with a micro-usb cable (also included), or using Power Over Ethernet (PoE) via the WAN ethernet port.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

alexmbra

Post by alexmbra »

Thanks, but I need one repeater router that can pass as a mobile charger, with no external antennas.
What about this one? "D-Link Wireless N300 Range Extender DAP-1320"

alexmbra

Post by alexmbra »

Or even this one: "D-Link DCH-M225". I just saw that it is supported by OpenWrt. Does that means that I can install Gargoyle in it?
Thank you.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If it is supported by Openwrt you could probably (not guaranteed) compile your own firmware for Gargoyle.

But the list of routers that gargoyle natively supports that matches your description is small (I can only think of the 1 already mentioned)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

alexmbra wrote:Thanks, but I need one repeater router that can pass as a mobile charger, with no external antennas.
What about this one? "D-Link Wireless N300 Range Extender DAP-1320"
I see.

Well, this one is pretty small and it's also already supported by Gargoyle.

The only caveat with the MR3020 is that it only has 4MB flash, so you'd need to flash an older version of Gargoyle (e.g. 1.6.2.2).
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

alexmbra

Post by alexmbra »

Lantis wrote:If it is supported by Openwrt you could probably (not guaranteed) compile your own firmware for Gargoyle.

But the list of routers that gargoyle natively supports that matches your description is small (I can only think of the 1 already mentioned)
Where can I find a tutorial explaining how to do this?
Thanks

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

alexmbra

Post by alexmbra »

Well, that is not for me. I don't have the knowlodge to do that, and I would probably mess things up. I installed Openwrt Lede firmware on my new router DCH-M225, but I couldn't use it, because the firmware comes with the Wireless connection disabled by default, and my router doesn't have any real port for connection, only wireless. So, I had to revert to the original firmware.