VPN on one subnet of Router

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

tomkuang

VPN on one subnet of Router

Post by tomkuang »

Hi folks

I'm very new to the Gargoyle firmware and this forum. I've installed gargoyle 1.9.2 on a WRT1900ACS v2 about half a year ago and used it happily ever after that.

My daughter recently ask me to get her an US Netflix account (to get more contents than in Canada) which is geo-based. Therefore, I have to install a VPN (price for NordVPN seems right for me as of today) on the router (NordVPN says you can't install a VPN service on a AppleTV). I'm wondering if I can set the VPN up on Gargoyle that only the AppleTV traffic will go through the VPN, while all the other devices on my router not? Reason being that I don't want my other connection speed caped by VPN. Better yet, can I setup two different subnet, one using the VPN and one not. Is it possible to do on Gargoyle? If so, can some one shed some light on it?

Or is it better way to accomplish that?

Thanks a lot!

ispyisail

Re: VPN on one subnet of Router

Post by ispyisail »

yes, but not as easy as you would hope

The easy'ist route would be to purchase a router just for the VPN. Another router for everything else.

Gargoyle does not support "VPN service providers" through the GUI. You need to use command line for some parts.

If you want plug and play with "VPN service providers" Gargoyle is not for you.

Eric has not added support because they are mostly used for illegal activities as you have pointed out :( ( I would argue that there will be some legal uses )

Here is an example of what you need to do

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129

tomkuang

Post by tomkuang »

Thanks! That's an interesting reading article. I'll try to figure it out first. I'll post back if I can break the ice. Also, I may ask more questions along the way.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Also, I may ask more questions along the way.
Go for you life

Support starts to drop of the further you stray form the GUI......

OpenWRT might also be a better option for you?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »