using opendns - how

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

kyles

using opendns - how

Post by kyles »

I want to give OpenDNS a try in hopes of restricting adult sites from mistakenly being exposed to my children. The only place I see to enter a IP addresses for DNS within Gargoyle is under the Connection->Basic page in the Local Network / LAN section.

When I enter the two IP addresses here (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) and save my changes; they don't seem to be used. I also tried rebooting both my PC and router but I see no indication that the specified DNS is being used to resolve (or in my case) reject certain domain names.

Do you have any idea why?

Thanks in advance
Kyle

ispyisail

Re: using opendns - how

Post by ispyisail »

Have you got a fixed IP address from your ISP?

Have you set up an account with OpenDNS?

Are your settings at OpenDNS correct?

kyles

Post by kyles »

I have entered the IP addresses for OpenDNS in the areas described. When I then attempt to create an OpenDNS account (which is optional) their website tells me that I have not yet set my router to utilize their name server.

In short, I have entered the two OpenDNS name server IP address in the only two places I see are available within the Gargoyle-Router web page; but I am not certain that this is the correct place to do so because it does not seem to work as indicated be the complaint from OpenDNS when I have attempted to create the optional OpenDNS account.

Thanks for your help.

Kyle

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I don't have experience using OpenDNS but I can confirm that that's the right place to enter external DNS servers. I've used this before (e.g. when using a static IP, setting the gateway as the DNS) and it seems to work fine.

I apologize for not responding sooner to this thread (or spending much time on this issue), but the issue you report with the access restrictions is much more severe, and so that is currently my top priority.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

You need to read how-to setup OpenDNS from the OpenDNS web site

Access restrictions can olny happen with an OpenDNS account running. Otherwise OpenDNS will work like a normal DNS server

more reading required

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ok, this should FINALLY be fixed. Sorry it took so long. New bleeding-edge firmware uploaded.