Is OpenVPN right for this?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Re: Is OpenVPN right for this?

Post by ispyisail »

I'm not sure 1.10.0 has the “vpn_gateway” option

Need to install the latest 1.10.x

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

ispyisail wrote:I'm not sure 1.10.0 has the “vpn_gateway” option

Need to install the latest 1.10.x
It does not. It was only made available for builds > 28/dec/17.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

tiptongrange

Post by tiptongrange »

Thanks everyone for your help, I finally got this up and running. The key problem I had was that I was running it as a bridge instead of a gateway.

Thanks also for the other tips, changing the encryption got rid of the error messages, and switching to TCP 443 allows me to bypass the restricted access. Here's my configuration, it's sitting on the LAN through a wireless connection. It gets its address through DHCP (it probably should be a static address), but my router lets me port forward to the name of the device rather than to an ip address.

The image below is the bottom half of the page above.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

but my router lets me port forward to the name of the device rather than to an ip address.
I doubt this will be the case when you using VPN off site?

If you want to get fancy (remote DNS resolve) you might be able to do this via command line

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... s_policies

tiptongrange

Post by tiptongrange »

I already tested this offsite, everything works fine. The real test will be when or if my router ever decides to assign it a new ip address, then will the port forwarding follow it.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

then will the port forwarding follow it.
When you say "port forward" are you talking about "DNS resolution" or actual "Port Forward"?

tiptongrange

Post by tiptongrange »

I was wondering whether the packets would be forwarded to the right place. However, after reading a little, I see that Verizon's firmware on this router handles static IP addresses in a nonstandard way. Normally, static IP's are set directly on the device to an address outside the DHCP server range. However, this router wants all devices to be connected through DHCP, it will then reserve a specific IP address for a specific MAC address if a device wants a static address. This way, an administrator can use the router software to manage static addresses to make sure they don't conflict with each other.

The firmware also has options to handle it in the standard way, but you have to reset the DHCP server range.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Normally, static IP's are set directly on the device to an address outside the DHCP server range
This doesn't sound right to me?

e.g. What is normal?

To be fair i used to think that
static IP's are set directly on the device to an address outside the DHCP server range
was normal

I don't anymore