I need help with compilation

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

DESK

I need help with compilation

Post by DESK »

I'am Jon from Spain and I would greatly appreciate your help.
Currently it is developed the version 1.10.0 for the GL_AR150 WiFi module (gargoyle_1.10.0-ar71xx-generic-gl_ar150-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin).
I have the issue that 1.10.0 version performs the bridge between wireless and wired interfaces in layer 3 (IP) and I would need in layer 2 (MAC).

Gargoyle 1.8.1 performs the bridge in layer 2, so would be posible you to compile Gargoyle 1.8.1 for the GL_AR150?

Thanks in advance
Kind regards,
Jon.

Lantis

Re: I need help with compilation

Post by Lantis »

Hi, support was not available for that device on versions before 1.10.0. It is not possible to compile it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

DESK

Post by DESK »

Lantis wrote:Hi, support was not available for that device on versions before 1.10.0. It is not possible to compile it.
Oh, its sad to listen that, I thought it was posible with the source code available.
Why did gargoyle turn from layer 2 bridge to layer 3? Isn't that a step back?

Thank you

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The implementation was unstable on some devices and setups.
Moving to relayd allowed us to align better with openwrt, use a preexisting solution, and remove manual patches from the code.

I have read your similar thread at LEDE forum and I still am not sure why the change affects you.
The end result is the same.

You could try WDS if MAC is important.

Alternatively you can roll your own firmware and patch the old bridge back in.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

DESK

Post by DESK »

The issue is that I have a very limited amount of IPs for my computers.
With the OpenWRT bridged in layer 3 I will need to reserve two IP per computer (PC IP and Wi-Fi module IP), while with layer 2 bridge they only need to assign one IP address (PC IP) because it is a totally transparent bridge.
WDS is not an option for me since I dont have permission to change any configuration of the AP to enable it.