Cant set new quota based on IP range

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

kiwiandy

Cant set new quota based on IP range

Post by kiwiandy »

I have been setting bandwidth quotas based on IP addresses, and have succesfully set one range, and a number of discreet IP addresses, however when I try to add additional IP address ranges I get an error message " Duplicate Ip/Time Range-- only one quota per IP at any given time is allowed..." However I have not set any other quotas for these IP addresses...

I cant attach a screenshot error message board attachment quota has been reached... not my day today!! :)

kiwiandy

Re: Cant set new quota based on IP range

Post by kiwiandy »

OK will post the image another way....

Alexbrewer

Post by Alexbrewer »

I don’t know if this is the same as your problem, but I saw something similar. I narrowed it down to the format of the range I was using.

Short answer is dont use spaces between the ip addresses. It will work with the first range, but you may get errors after the first. For example:

192.168.1.10-192.168.1.19

Don’t put spaces around the dash!!!!

Also, I found a trick to help me. I assign ranges to each of my kids. If you use ranges, you don’t know what range is for who in the quota page. I do each quota in two parts, with the first ip in the range separate, so the quota page shows the name of the device on the summary screen.

Hope this helps.

kiwiandy

Post by kiwiandy »

Thanks Alex, will give ita try!

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Alexbrewer wrote:I don’t know if this is the same as your problem, but I saw something similar. I narrowed it down to the format of the range I was using.

Short answer is dont use spaces between the ip addresses. It will work with the first range, but you may get errors after the first. For example:

Mind elaborating a little further with this bug?

192.168.1.10-192.168.1.19 - Valid
192.168.1.10 -192.168.1.19 - Unvalid?

Thanks.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Bug is a strong word lol.
String validation is an incredibly fragile thing. It is very hard to predict exactly what a user will enter.
The function is working as expected. It probably just needs to be better documented what the expected input is.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Lantis wrote:Bug is a strong word lol.
You're right. I guess it's more to an "undesired system behavior due to unknowingly wrong input data format" than an actual bug :lol: . If it wiped all current quotas due to that little detail, then maybe yes, it's a bug.
String validation is an incredibly fragile thing. It is very hard to predict exactly what a user will enter.
The function is working as expected. It probably just needs to be better documented what the expected input is.
Agreed. Regex to the rescue maybe?
Last edited by d3fz on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

Alexbrewer

Post by Alexbrewer »

d3fz wrote:
Alexbrewer wrote:I don’t know if this is the same as your problem, but I saw something similar. I narrowed it down to the format of the range I was using.

Mind elaborating a little further with this bug?

192.168.1.10-192.168.1.19 - Valid
192.168.1.10 -192.168.1.19 - Unvalid?

Thanks.

That was my experience. You could have one of the ranges like this that has a space, but any range after that would give an error.

It may not be an actual bug, but it definitely wasn’t documented anywhere I could find. Maybe they could add a note to the config page where it gives the examples?

The general user of gargoyle probably doesn’t have access to the MAN pages anymore. Is that even a thing now?