NFS or SMB client mount ?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

fraxion

NFS or SMB client mount ?

Post by fraxion »

Is there a way to setup a persistent network mount from Gargoyle to my NAS? I'd like to use my router to act as DLNA server for remote files, save/serve torrents and write web access log. The NAS support NFS, AFS and CIFS but cannot be made to run minidlna (sigh).

I'm not scared of ssh, scripts or fstab if required.

LEDE made this surprisingly involved, requiring a custom hotplug iface event script, while it was just a tab away in Tomato (on my previous router, RIP). This is not a rant, gargoyle looks good! Feel free to file this under "requested enhancements" if just not possible right now.

ispyisail

Re: NFS or SMB client mount ?

Post by ispyisail »

I'd like to use my router to act as DLNA server for remote files,
Gargoyle has a DLNA Plugin

never used it

fraxion

Post by fraxion »

Gargoyle has a DLNA Plugin
Yes, I know :) But I'd like said DLNA server to serve movies and songs from /some/media/folder that is actually a _network_ mount, rather than a USB drive attached to the back of my router. I have a small NAS (Network Attached Storage) box beside my router holding my files, and it doesn't support USB , only wired ethernet access.

Doing so requires a kernel module and an appropriate "mount" utility, depending on the network protocol used, which Gargoyle may or may not have available, hence my question.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The only way to achieve this is via command line.

You seem to know exactly what you want/need to achieve. What assistance do you need?
My approach
init.d script running before minidlna to get your mount
Minidlna pointed at mount
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fraxion

Post by fraxion »

I was just wondering if there was a special GUI or file config for that purpose. I'll set it up similarly with an init script. Thanks!

Forest83

Post by Forest83 »

Hello, is anyone able to provide instructions on how to set up a mount of a NAS on Gargoyle so I can access it's media via DLNA?

I have a D-Link DNS-320 NAS (that has Twonky 8.5.1 installed) connected via ethernet to a D-Link DIR-835 which is running Gargoyle 1.10.

The Twonky DLNA server on the DNS-320 was working on my pre-Gargoyle network setup but since using Gargoyle none of my devices on the network can see it anymore.

Guidance on command line instructions to achieve this will be greatly appreciated.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You’ll need to establish a mount to the remote disk, and then point minidlna to it.

It would be simpler and more performant to fix the NAS itself.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Forest83

Post by Forest83 »

Thank you for the response.

The NAS is working and can be accessed normally through the network, the only issue with it is that Twonky for some reason is not visible to DLNA devices whilst connected to the Gargoyle bridge.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that I have Gargoyle operating in bridge mode so I can connect a couple of ethernet devices to the network. The wireless repeater function has been switched off which is a suggestion I saw in another thread but this has been to no avail.