Harden Gargoyle against new WPA2 Exploit Krack?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

adm1jtg

Re: Harden Gargoyle against new WPA2 Exploit Krack?

Post by adm1jtg »

ispyisail wrote:
adm1jtg wrote:This may be a stupid question, I see the new build to patch KRACK but I do not want to move to 1.9x as its still not as stable as 181. Will there be a KRACK patch for 181?
don't be fooled

At this development stage 1.9.x is the most stable gargoyle firmware ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if 1.9.x is pushed out as 1.8.3
I appreciate the optimism but until it is listed as stable and proven over a little more time my original question still stands... For those of us running 181 will there be a patch or is our ONLY option to upgrade to 1.9.x

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Right now it is 1.9.x

I'm not sure what Eric's plans are?

My guess is he will just put 1.8.3 on 1.9.x (just because we are at the end of the cycle anyway)

The next big jump is to LEDE which Eric has started.....which will be many, many months before that will be stable

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

It is true that when we go from "test" to "stable" that we find many more bugs just because the user base is larger.

There are people who only use stable firmware which is a bit sad for testing but that is the way it is.

adm1jtg

Post by adm1jtg »

ispyisail wrote:Right now it is 1.9.x

I'm not sure what Eric's plans are?

My guess is he will just put 1.8.3 on 1.9.x (just because we are at the end of the cycle anyway)

The next big jump is to LEDE which Eric has started.....which will be many, many months before that will be stable
Ok thanks, I appreciate it. Do you feel this renaming and such will happen in the next few days? As I cannot load something called experimental on a client system, even if we both know it will just be renamed at a later time.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

At this stage I expect there will be no backported patch.

Note that all development work happens on the “experimental” branch and we get bugs ironed out pretty quickly. For example, the worst bug I can remember from the 1.9.x branch was when you couldn’t upgrade via the GUI (still available by CLI). Was a bit inconvenient, but it was fixed within 24 hours. Other than that it has been relatively smooth sailing focusing on improvements rather than bugs in my opinion.
Eric has expressed a desire to go to 1.10.0 rather than 1.9.3 with this security patch. This indicates his faith in the stability of the branch.

It is of course your choice to use whatever version you are most comfortable with. And I understand not wanting to have the word “experimental” on your clients device. Fair enough.

No ETA on when this release will happen. I’d say a week or two.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

adm1jtg

Post by adm1jtg »

Lantis wrote:At this stage I expect there will be no backported patch.

Note that all development work happens on the “experimental” branch and we get bugs ironed out pretty quickly. For example, the worst bug I can remember from the 1.9.x branch was when you couldn’t upgrade via the GUI (still available by CLI). Was a bit inconvenient, but it was fixed within 24 hours. Other than that it has been relatively smooth sailing focusing on improvements rather than bugs in my opinion.
Eric has expressed a desire to go to 1.10.0 rather than 1.9.3 with this security patch. This indicates his faith in the stability of the branch.

It is of course your choice to use whatever version you are most comfortable with. And I understand not wanting to have the word “experimental” on your clients device. Fair enough.

Perfect will just wait for 1.10.0 to drop then. Thanks.

adm1jtg

Post by adm1jtg »

Lantis wrote:At this stage I expect there will be no backported patch.

Do you believe this to still be the case? As it been a little bit now

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You posted 2 hours too early :P
Check out the news section
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.