Why can't Gargoyle reach 500 Mbs?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Walkier

Why can't Gargoyle reach 500 Mbs?

Post by Walkier »

I used Gargoyle earlier this year and it was great. I can monitor stats and schedule MAC filtering times at will. These functions aren't in the default firmware.

However, one thing was worst. Using Gargoyle would drop my download speed from 500 Mbs to ~375 Mbs. Which is a huge turn off when I'm trying to update a game or something. Is it because of the reduced headroom or is it a bug?

Either way, is it fixed yet? If not, is there a way or plan to fix it? I really liked the functionality of Gargoyle but the performance just made me switch back.

Thanks.

Lantis

Re: Why can't Gargoyle reach 500 Mbs?

Post by Lantis »

What kind of hardware are you using? Third party firmware (not just gargoyle) has no hardware acceleration, and hence is limited in its top speed due to CPU usage.
Being able to hit 375mbps is reasonably impressive, so if i had to guess you're using quite a modern router.

In short, no this isn't being "worked on" actively in gargoyle because there isn't an easy/viable solution.
There are some solutions being worked on by users of LEDE, however there has been little to no effort to mainline these solutions and they disable some functionality e.g. QOS
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Walkier

Post by Walkier »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my router is an Archer C7 v2.

tapper

Post by tapper »

375 is good going on a c7 mate!
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Walkier

Post by Walkier »

It's good for wireless, not for lan but I guess that's the trade off.