Using Gargoyle router to diagnose bandwidth culprit.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

GaryFx

Using Gargoyle router to diagnose bandwidth culprit.

Post by GaryFx »

Recently we've seen a huge increase in our bandwidth usage (according to Comcast) and we're trying to figure out what caused it. A two year old article at tmproductions led me to Gargoyle, specifically because we're using an Apple AirPort Extreme similar to that article, and in particular we like the idea of putting the Gargoyle router between the cable modem and the AirPort Extreme, using the Gargoyle router essentially as a traffic monitor and not for wifi service. All of our computers are MacOS.

However the article suggests a TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND router, saying that there's one with Gargoyle already installed available for purchase here. That's obviously no longer available.

So I now have two questions: 1) will the pocket router available here be usable for this purpose? And 2) will the lack of IPv6 support by Gargoyle interfere with us being able to do this.

(Aside: I can't post URLs, presumably to keep new users from posting spam. If you need more info about the article and there's a way for me to provide it without breaking the rules here, let me know.)

Thanks.

d3fz

Re: Using Gargoyle router to diagnose bandwidth culprit.

Post by d3fz »

GaryFx wrote: So I now have two questions: 1) will the pocket router available here be usable for this purpose? And 2) will the lack of IPv6 support by Gargoyle interfere with us being able to do this.
1) Absolutely.
2) Not at all.

Gargoyle's Bandwidth Monitoring feature became a must have for me these days. I had no idea i consumed so much bandwidth within a month, until i start using it.

TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

NotHal

Post by NotHal »

How does Gargoyle's bandwidth usage reports break down data consumption? Is it only in aggregate, or does it show usage by device? What other capabilities help us identify potential issues within the network? I cannot find screenshots or discussions to illustrate this. Thanks!

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

To show current/total bandwidth usage by Device name, go to Status > B/W Distribution, and set the desired time frame.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1