upgrade for security?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

tsas

upgrade for security?

Post by tsas »

I'm currently running 1.8.1 on wdr3600 and I'm very pleased. no issues whatsoever. I even have my pia vpn working flawlessly. I've considered upgrading to the latest experimental firmware, but I value stability. my question is, am I missing on any security patches that have since been incorporated since 1.8.1? from reading the changelogs, the additional features sound great but I really dont need more than I already have in regards to features. I'm interested an upgrade at the time if there are security patches available, though. should I upgrade now to increase security or wait for that branch to become stable?

Lantis

Re: upgrade for security?

Post by Lantis »

There are security changes in the underlying kernel and some software (openvpn for example). 1.9.2 is generally more stable than 1.8.1 in my opinion.

Keep in mind that while it may be "experimental", it is the future, so all development work is focussed there. It rapidly becomes stable and gains additional features.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Yeah +1 Upgrade. I think 1.8.1 still has hartbleed. It will be even better when we upgrade to building on top of LEDE the bump from kernel 4.9.442 to kernel 4.9.44 had 4 fixes for CVEs.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

tsas

Post by tsas »

thanks lantis & tapper. I'll make the upgrade

thanks again!