Another router recommendation question

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

tmcleod

Another router recommendation question

Post by tmcleod »

Hi all. I work in Alaska where we have a bunkhouse with as many as ten guys living in it. We're on an internet plan with a data cap of 100 gigs (and a D/L speed of 6M, supposedly). We want to use Gargoyle to allot 10 gig quotas to each member of the crew. I'd like to hear your recommendations as to the best way (best router?) to go about this?

I have some modest IT skills but I'm definitely not a networking expert, for whatever it's worth.

I see the pocket router in the shop but I'm curious if it's suitable for a higher number of users?

Thanks for the help

ispyisail

Re: Another router recommendation question

Post by ispyisail »

Gargoyle will do the job but it does have its limits

The data Cap is "per device" (MAC address) and not "per user"

Its not bullet proof, if the end user's try hard enough they can do stuff..........

I expect the router in the shop should do the job no problem.

Problem start with high internet speeds/high loads (over 100Mpbs)

tmcleod

Post by tmcleod »

Thanks for the response. Right on regarding the user/device distinction. Most guys just have phones here but perhaps we can split the 10 gig allowance among their devices.

Not too concerned about anyone getting crafty here...computer skills are lacking around in these parts.

Thanks again for the help, we'll try the featured router out. Hopefully we can keep the rogue netflix streamers from wiping out our internet in the first week of every month.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I think for the price you can't go wrong

b17gsr

Post by b17gsr »

I do this to control my kids usage. All their devices fall within their assigned IP addresses, based on their mac addresses.

I've then created a quota for each IP address range. Right now it's a daily cap, however could be changed to a monthly cap.
Linksys WRT3200ACM on 1.10.x
D-Link DIR-890L/R access point with blah stock firmware
--- Retired ---
TP-LINK Archer C7 v2 on 1.9.2