Put a compatible router in between cable modem and rest of network

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

chadwixk

Put a compatible router in between cable modem and rest of network

Post by chadwixk »

Hello,

I have a DOCIS 3.0 Zoom cable modem / router that is the primary one that internet service comes into my house with. I'd like to start monitoring our internet bandwith usage as we have a new service and have started getting overages. Hence I came across Gargoyle in my research.

Now this router is not supported, but I do have an old Linksys WRT54GS v4 lying around that is compatible with Gargoyle.

From my cable modem, I have ethernet runs from various rooms plugged in, directly or via an additional ethernet switch, and one of those goes to a Linksys EA7500 (which is just setup as an access point).

Is there a way to install the WRT54 with Gargoyle inbetween the Zoom model/router so that all traffic will got throught it (with Gargoyle) so that it can be measured with Gargoyle? (The Zoom cable modem/router does have wifi, but I don't mind turning that off).

Any help is appreciated!

ispyisail

Re: Put a compatible router in between cable modem and rest of network

Post by ispyisail »

Code: Select all

WRT54 with Gargoyle
Yes you can install very old version firmware but your experience may not be as good as you hope

Internet speeds have increase many times since that router was released

chadwixk

Post by chadwixk »

Thanks for the reply. So I understand that if I wanted to use the wireless aspects, it would be slow...but I don't want to use it as a wireless AP, just as an ethernet passthrough...so wired only. Would there be an issue with wired speeds?

How would I have to configure it to work in this way? As it won't be acting like a true router, just a passthrough device...would it be in AP mode only, etc?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

This is what you need

https://shop.gargoyle-router.com/produc ... -router-v3

If you want to try with your old router you can

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Wired speeds will also suffer.

You'll need it in Gareway mode (routed). If your cable modem can be bridged you may be able to use PPPoE otherwise DHCP Wired setup.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.