IPv6 Question

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Mloki

IPv6 Question

Post by Mloki »

Will my Gargoyle 1.6.2 not allow any traffic on IPv6 (because it has no IPv6 Options at all) even if my Provider does support it ? I wonder, if it will prevent the usage of the IPV6 DNS Servers. If so, that would be fine for me. If not, then how can I disable the use of the ISP DNS Server for potential IPv6 Traffic ?
Netgear WNDR3800 running Gargoyle 1.6.2
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH (B0 B0) running Gargoyle 1.9.0

Lantis

Re: IPv6 Question

Post by Lantis »

There's no IPv6 support at all.
There's a few IPv6 test sites which can show what connectivity you have.
http://ipv6-test.com
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Mloki

Post by Mloki »

I know this site already, my OS might tunnel IPv6 DNS query requests and so use another DNS Server than those, I added in my IPv4 Infrastructure. This will break my future setup. Is there a way to block all IPv6 DNS requests and traffic that want/s to tunnel thru my router and therefore make my security and settings kind of obsolete ?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Once it exits your local traffic there's not going to be much you can do.
Maybe your isp has an IPv6 DNS at an IPv4 address? If that's the case you could block traffic destined for that address.

If it is your ISP doing the tunnelling (common), are you overly attached to their DNS servers? You could use google or other available servers
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Mloki

Post by Mloki »

Yes, my ISP has an IPv4 tunnel Server address that bridges my connection to the IPv6 Internet, as it says on IPv6-test.com.
Blocking this IP would be a good idea, but I am not sure if the IPs will change from time to time, or if they simply change my IPv6 tunnel destination then automatically.

My router that establishes the connection to the ADSL modem has fixed settings to use their DNS Servers (it is not a gargoyle router, just an old SPI Firewall Router). So any IPv6 DNS queries will ignore my settings and use their DNS Servers instead. There are not even options to setup DNS6.

I plan on using Google's DNS Servers with my new Hardware setup next week. The easiest solution would be, to just block all IPv6 traffic and force everything to use the IPv4 protocol. But no clue, how to do that.

Not sure if upgrading to Gargoyle 1.9x would allow me to force my IPv6 DNS queries to use Google's DNS Servers. I prefer to not touch running systems ;) So I better first try to get all necessary information before I make a choice.

Lipari

Post by Lipari »

Ok thanks, I'll hold off from using ipv6 for a while then.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Upgrade to Gargoyle 1.9.2 anyway as it has a lot of bug and Security fixes. Gargoyle is built with all IP v6 disabled.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260