Gargoyle 1.5.9 Wireless repeater of network WPA2-Enterprise

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

lchiu7

Gargoyle 1.5.9 Wireless repeater of network WPA2-Enterprise

Post by lchiu7 »

A friend is at a university where the WiFi network is WPA2-Enterprise. So you have to login to access it. He wants to use an Amazon Dot but that cannot connect so I was wondering if I could use a spare router to access the WiFi network and rebroadcast with say WPA2 standard.

My TPLink is flashed with the Gargoyle interface to OpenWRT version as above but when I look at WiFi repeater there appears to be no way to logon to a WPA2 Enterprise network.

Is that possible in a later firmware or not doable at all?

Thanks

ispyisail

Re: Gargoyle 1.5.9 Wireless repeater of network WPA2-Enterprise

Post by ispyisail »

lchiu7

Post by lchiu7 »

Just so I understand this. I telnet to the router to get the command line. I can then issue these commands to make the router act a client to the university WiFi network accessing via WPA2 Enterprise? Then the router can re-broadcast the WiFi signal using WPA2-PSK of whatever I want?

Thanks

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

SSH, not telnet. But yes you need to make this configuration at the command line as this is not supported by Gargoyle
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

lchiu7

Post by lchiu7 »

Thanks. I use putty often to ssh to my Pi so that's not new to me.

Just to clarify, if I ssh to the router and issue those commands, when will the router connect to the AP? If you choose Bridge Mode in the GUI, the choices WPA2 or WEP and you choose the SSID of the AP you're connecting to. There is no WPA2-Enteprise choice, hence having to use the CLI. I am wondering once I issue those command will the router automatically be in bridge mode? I guess I can try to find out but I have no WPA2-Enterprise network at home to check.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I can't give you exact answers because I've never tried it.

If you modify the wireless config, issuing the command "wifi" will take the wifi down, load the new config and then bring the wifi back up.
Restarting other things like the firewall or network should be done with the restart scripts in /usr/lib/gargoyle/.
Be aware that nonstandard configurations might not behave well with these scripts so you may need to do some other restarts by hand.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.