Build an X86_64 router from scratch with Gargoyle??

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Re: Build an X86_64 router from scratch with Gargoyle??

Post by ispyisail »

tip: Get a normal router and a couple of builds for it, then move to x86

I would even start with building openWRT first

Documentation is better

thepctech

Post by thepctech »

I already have a Netgear 3700 running Gargoyle, I would like to use a home built computer for the router. I had it running both Pfsense, and untangle; but I much prefer the Gargoyle interface. That's why I'm trying to get it up and running in the x86_64 hardware.

ThePCTech

thepctech

Post by thepctech »

I kind of thought that I might get a little more help from this forum. I guess there are not that many people running x86/x86_64 versions of this firmware/router package. I think that if there was a good tutorial or web page on how to set up this router package, there would be a lot more people running it.

I'm a huge fan of this router software, I tried to use standard hardware SATA SSD, Intel processor, 8gb of ram, and a Intel dual NIC. Some would argue that this should be the best setup for a x86 router, with more than enough power to keep up with ANY home network. Far more power than any COTS product for home use.

It should not be so hard to get a working version of this software. Like I said in my previous posts, I have run both Pfsense and Untangle, both install and work quite good as a router, I love the ease of use and the parental controls provided by Gargoyle-Firmware. I tell everyone I know with kids, that they should run it.

I guess, I will have to look elsewhere in the future for my firewall needs.

ThePCTech

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I did mention 3 times that compiling your own was going to be the way to go.
For which, the documentation is provided here.
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... umentation

It is not a common build, but you are right, it is very powerful.

You know enough to piece together your own hardware, i'm sure you are capable (with a bit of hand holding perhaps) of building your own firmware.

I hope you find a satisfactory firewall solution and that you'll continue to use Gargoyle on other devices :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Phil

Post by Phil »

thepctech wrote:It does not look like he ever got it to work, he looked to have wireless problems. I have a mesh setup of ubiquiti wireless AP's, but I would like to have Gargoyle handle the routing.

There is a good web article for openwrt http://www. instructables. com/id/Openwrt-on-a-pc/

I would like something like this for Gargoyle. Is there anything like this out there? Can I just use a command line distro of Linux, and then install openwrt on top of it?? If so what is the best distro out there for doing this?

Is there a Linux distro that has a Gargoyle package that I can install RPM?? If so how would I do that?

Thanks again,
Brian
I got it work... as for wifi, the only best option would be to use ap devices. But I did manage to get the wifi to work but not with 5gz. No fault to gargoyle, the drivers for wifi card is pretty limited.

thepctech

Post by thepctech »

So I have read through the instructions on building the Gargoyle Firmware. There are ton's of holes in the procedure. This is far from a step by step guide to Gargoyle on x86.

It is not clear at all as to how to do this. Am I to assume that I need to do this from a installed version of Linux? If so, which distro should I install to build this??

Can I do it from a 'live cd'? then produce a bootable os image that I can then boot from??

If someone has actually been successful getting this to work, I would really like to hear from you. I have very standard parts, x86_64 with a SATA interface, 8 gb of ram, and a dual Intel NIC. I would think that this should be an easy build, nothing special. I don't even need wifi, because I am using Ubiquiti access points for the wireless portion of this 'router/firewall'.

If you can help me I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

The PCTech

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I use Ubuntu server on top of Hyper-V (windows)

You need to learn about SSH connections as well. There is a bunch of commands that would take ages to type. With SSH you can cut and paste.

Its a journey that we all take

Google is your friend