Router reboot with USB Drive

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

jwbohrer

Router reboot with USB Drive

Post by jwbohrer »

I have hooked my router and cable modem up to a power cycle device which reboots each of them in proper sequence each night. If I don't do this, it seems like they "get out of sync" with each other somehow and stop working. This permanently gets around the problem.

However, I want to hook a new large external drive up, and mount it remotely with my Raspberry pi to watch movies with Kodi.

Question is, I know you shouldn't just unplug USB cables without unmounting the drive first, but would the above scenario damage the drive? The drive itself will always have power.

Lantis

Re: Router reboot with USB Drive

Post by Lantis »

Depending on the format of the drive, it may be marked as unclean if it isn't ejected correctly.
I've never had a problem with random power loss, occasionally it won't remount automatically but a kick gets it going.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.