Gargoyle v1.9.2 on TP-Link WR1043ND v3?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

city_zen

Gargoyle v1.9.2 on TP-Link WR1043ND v3?

Post by city_zen »

Hi,
I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I ran a search on the forum and didn't find it.

I have a TP-Link router, model TL-WR1043ND v3, and want to install Gargoyle on it. One of the latest versions, 1.9.0/1/2.
I found several threads on the forum describing different methods and workarounds to installing Gargoyle on that particular router model (v3). But I also found that there is a direct download for Gargoyle v1.9.n for that router model (gargoyle_1.9.2-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin and gargoyle_1.9.2-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v3-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin) I also noticed that there are no downloads for the TL-WR1043ND v3 for previous versions of Gargoyle (i.e. 1.8.n and below)

My question is: can I install Gargoyle 1.9.2 on my TL-WR1043ND v3 router using the standard installation method? Or do I need to follow the alternative methods and workarounds posted on the forum for that router model? Were those alternative methods useful when there were no available Gargoyle downloads for that router and are now deprecated?
Please let me know

Thanks in advance

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle v1.9.2 on TP-Link WR1043ND v3?

Post by Lantis »

Some of the methods would have been about making the v2 image work on a v3.
Some of the methods would be about using a v3 image on a region locked device.

You'll want to use the direct download firmware, and only follow workarounds if it doesn't load easily (which will more than likely be about region locking the firmware).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Knomax

Post by Knomax »

The method that i use is...
First flash wr1043nd with Lede stable release..
I can't post picture to see it.
You need the ....
lede-17.01.0-r3205-59508e3-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin

It has pre-installed Luci web interface..so you will not need to ssh to it to have access...just type in your browser 192.168.1.1 ...set password.

Then go to upgrade menu of Lede and flash ...

gargoyle_1.9.2-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v3-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Wait some time to flash properly...
Remember to do the procedure wired not wireless.

The easiest method.
;)

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

city_zen wrote:gargoyle_1.9.2-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin
If upgrading from factory firmware, flashing this directly on the V3 will work just fine. I have done this before soon after 1.9.x is released.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

city_zen

Post by city_zen »

Lantis wrote: You'll want to use the direct download firmware, and only follow workarounds if it doesn't load easily (which will more than likely be about region locking the firmware).
Thank you!

First I tried using the standard installation procedure but, just like you predicted, the factory firmware was locked and I couldn't load the Gargoyle installation firmware.
After some research, I ended up using the instructions posted by bradysquirrel on page 14 of the TL-WR1043ND V3 thread (I can't post URL links, probably because I'm a new user)

My first attempt was unsuccessful, I guess because my OS is Windows and I had to adapt slightly the instructions for my OS and probably messed up something. But my second attempt was successful and I'm now happily running Gargoyle 1.9.x (Built 20170301-0607 git@d8fa73c) on my TL-WR1043ND V3. Yes, I'm running an image I downloaded from your site :)

I'm still configuring all the settings but so far, so good.
Thanks to everyone else who chimed in with suggestions and thanks to bradysquirrel for his (/her) detailed instructions.