Looking for Help

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Tupakk

Looking for Help

Post by Tupakk »

So I have acquired a new job in a farm setting where we have 7 down / 2 up speed across about 20 users at all times. I have everything networked pretty well except bandwidth usage. We own two properties on two different sides of the street. I currently am using a 900mhz antenna to shoot across the street. However it is taking priority when it comes to usage and is slowing down our office machines making them unusable.

I have been looking around and stumbled on to your forums so I figured I would see if Gargoyle would work a bit better than just my standard router software.

I am currently running a WRT1900AC 2.0.7.167471 that branches out to a 24 port switch and then out to different routers around property.

Would your software run smoothly on the 1900. I browsed the forums but didn't really find much besides bug fixes.

If I have left anything out let me know I can answer any questions.

tapper

Re: Looking for Help

Post by tapper »

Hi mate, yes Gargoyle will run well on the wrt1900AC but I am not sure how well it will work in your setup. If you flash Gargoyle you can switch back to stock firmware by turning the wrt1900ac of and on 3 times as the flash inside has 2 copys of the firmware installed. So after flashing one part of the flash would have Gargoyle on and the other would have stock on it, so you can test and swich back and forth. It is a round robin flashing system, that meens that if you have booted up from partition 1 and then flashed Gargoyle it will flash to partition 2. After it would boot up to the Gargoyle firmware on partition 2. If you then flashed again it will flash and boot to partition 1, but if you don't flash anything to the partition that has Gargoyle on it then one of your partitions will keep the stock fermwair. I hope this helps. If you need any more help just ask. Good luck :-)
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

You might want to get a test router

Putting a Gargoyle router straight into a complex production network ...............

Tupakk

Post by Tupakk »

ispyisail wrote:You might want to get a test router

Putting a Gargoyle router straight into a complex production network ...............
I don't have another 1900ac will it make a difference if I use a ea6500 as my test router?