how many users on a "Bare Minimum" Router?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Gargoyle_Newbie77

how many users on a "Bare Minimum" Router?

Post by Gargoyle_Newbie77 »

Hi,
Firstly I would like to say thank you for providing such a great piece of software for free.

I live in Africa and the Routers, that are suggested for Gargoyle are either: not sold in the shops ( because they are old or discontinued ) or almost impossible to find in the 2nd hand market. None of the popular Netgear or TP-Link devices have come up on the 2nd hand items websites, that I use. Amazon and E-bay do not deliever where I live.
I could wait until I find the perfect Router, but by then all my bandwidth would have been used up. Every month I barely scrape past my allocated limit.

I do have 2 of the Routers that are supported by Gargoyle, but they are under the "Bare Minimum" catagory.
My devices are:

Linksys WRT54G version 2.2
Linksys WRT54GL version 1.1

I have 2 questions:

1) One device has a Broadcom BCM4712 running at 216Mhz and the other device has a Broadcom BCM5352 running at 200Mhz. Which of the 2 CPUs are better? ( One of the Routers will have to control my broadband connection )

2) What is the maximum amount of users one of these "Bare Minimum" Routers can handle to monitor bandwidth per user?

I thank you in advance for and help/info you can give me.

Lantis

Re: how many users on a "Bare Minimum" Router?

Post by Lantis »

You would have to use a version like 1.6.2 or older.
They will only handle about 10mbps with all features enabled.
Hard to guess how many users.

I wouldn't recommend it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

The number of users is not a good metric for router selection. All Gargoyle routers can support up to 252 users.

When selecting a router it is most important to select a router which will support your available WAN speed and meets the minimum RAM and FLASH requirements. WRT54 routers will support not more than 9Mbps on the WAN side.

The only WRT54 router that can support modern Gargoyle is the WRT54G-TM which has 32MB RAM and 8MB of flash. These are the minimums for any router.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Gargoyle_Newbie77

Post by Gargoyle_Newbie77 »

Thank you for your replies.
Easch month a barely make it to the end of the month, with my allocted data limit, so I need to get Gargoyle up and running as soon as possible, but I cant find these "modern" routers on the second hand market where I live, so I would impliment one of these 2 Linksys routers until I get a "modern" router.
My WAN connection is 10MB Fibre optic.

I have 3 questions:

1) One device has a Broadcom BCM4712 running at 216Mhz and the other device has a Broadcom BCM5352 running at 200Mhz. Which of the 2 CPUs are better? ( One of the Routers will have to control my broadband connection )

2) How can I find out what is the maximum WAN speed a particular ROuter can handle? eg: a Netgear 3700 version 4?

3) What is the maximum amount of users one of these Linksys WRT54 "Bare Minimum" Routers can handle to monitor bandwidth per user? Could either of them handle 18 -32 users?

I thank you in advance for and help/info you can give me.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

These routers should do about 8Mbps maximum considering the features you will use. I do not think there is much difference between in performance.
2) How can I find out what is the maximum WAN speed a particular ROuter can handle? eg: a Netgear 3700 version 4?
Well testing is the best way but I have one of these and I think around 25Mbps is the maximum it can do.
3) What is the maximum amount of users one of these Linksys WRT54 "Bare Minimum" Routers can handle to monitor bandwidth per user? Could either of them handle 18 -32 users?
The limit for all routers is 253 connected devices.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM