Gargoyle Help from everyone

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

EnemyOf1

Gargoyle Help from everyone

Post by EnemyOf1 »

So I currently have Verizon, and it's getting insane what my damn internet costs me a month, let alone that doesn't even account for my cell phones either. Totally seperate, but I'm looking into Wireless Internet locally, if it works out, I'm hoping that Gargoyle will also give me the control that I'd like. Those of you that know this best please chime in.

I have 12-15 wireless connected devices, phones, ipads, ipods, PlayStations, Printers, NEST thermostats, etc.

Can I tell how much data each of them is using in total as well?
I want to know who is using what, and when.

I can set each device to an amount of bandwidth allowed also?

Can I CAP the amount of data that each device is allowed? Say my wife can have all the bandwidth she wants, and as much of it as she wants as well, but my kids for instance, can only have 20% of the bandwidth each, and only 5gb of data total? in a perfect world I'm hoping that this will do just that, but I'm still going to buy their router if it tell me how much data each device is consuming at any given moment, and over a period of time? Last week, last month, etc.

Thanks!!

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle Help from everyone

Post by Lantis »

The answer is yes to all of your questions. This is exactly what Gargoyle does.
You'll want to do some quotas to manage your usage, and QOS to manage your bandwidth.

This isn't the entire story for you, but it's half of it.
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... -teenagers
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

porkypete

Post by porkypete »

Exactly! Yes to all of your questions.
To add to Lantis link, I have one of my setups working with up to 30 devices between my teenagers and other extended family. The setup is on a farm, away from decent cellular connections, over a satellite Internet link (damn expensive data), with a very small data cap.
On top of all the Quota limits and QOS class prioritisation of business machines, I have a class called SLOW to catch all those who have consumed their data limit. it is set to 48kbit (up and down), which is good enough for basic data messaging and VOIP calling between top-up periods, and slow enough to not deplete the ISP quota.

EnemyOf1

Post by EnemyOf1 »

Great! That's how I was reading it, but I just couldn't find anything that specifically said. I'm really hoping their ISP can get a service connected. Gargoyle is awesome, I don't especially feel like I want to spend an extra $40+ dollars to buy a router from them with it pre-installed, but since it does exactly what I want, I think I'll let them have the profit out of principal and being it's free, it would be a nice way to reward them for designing this