The future of Gargoyle in 2022

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: The future of Gargoyle in 2022

Post by Lantis »

If you wait a few days, you might get a surprise :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

OK cool. Thanks.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

smoke_15

Post by smoke_15 »

I used to use dd-wrt many many years ago. It was ok but switched over to Gargoyle almost 10 years ago due to it's superior QoS and awesome GUI. Currently using archer c7 on a few networks. Only beef is that gargoyle can't get the maximum throughout (on the archer c7) but no biggie. It definitely serves my purpose.

I am a big believer in 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' and therefore won't switch to any other firmware unless I have a good reason to and I definitely don't have a good reason at the moment.

Keep up the good work, I hope gargoyle is around for a long long time.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi @Lantis This is not a dig at you mate, but why does every thing to do with Gargoyle take so long? Where is eric? Why does no one ever say anything about what's is going on with the updates or anything? It's just so dam frustrating! This is why I jumped ship to OpenWrt for most of my routers.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I can’t speak for Eric sorry, except to say that he has found less time available to work on this than he expected.

Something to keep in mind though, this is an open source community project.
Yes, Eric is the gatekeeper and has the final say and ultimately controls the release schedule, but that doesn’t mean that development can’t go at a fast pace in his absence.
Even 1 extra person working on this would drastically change what can be done and how long it takes.

In the last 6 months I’ve had a handful of people drop bits of functionality into the code, which has been AWESOME! However, none of them have thus far expressed a desire to go any deeper than that. And that’s OK too. But without anyone committing long term, it is what it is.

For 22.xx, there is probably weeks if not months of work required to support the new firewall4. If I have to tackle that solo, it will be easily 6 months work.

If you want to keep up with the latest, star or subscribe to my GitHub repo. I push commits pretty regularly.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

The magic of Gargoyle is its intuitive and it just works.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@Lantis

Have you thought about building a reference x86 system for power users.

One of the problems with consumers routers is they change every 5 minutes

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Did you have anything in particular in mind?
I’ve thought about it, but i only have a 50mbps connection at home so it’s a little wasted on me.
When they switch on fttp here I might give it some serious thought.

labou

Post by labou »

Gargoyle is one of the major reasons I can get work done in Haiti. I live in a rural part of the country and the organization I work for pays an absurd amount of money for 8 megabits of internet. We have at least 20 devices at any given moment on the connection, and if it weren't for Gargoyle QoS, quotas, and restrictions, it would be pretty useless to all of us.

I started with DD-WRT, quickly moved to Tomato for a bit, and ultimately found my way to Gargoyle.

We have run into issues here and there, but the pros tremendously outweigh the cons. I can't really code, so I can't contribute that way, but I would love to participate if there are other useful ways.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2
Linksys WRT1200AC

LostInSpace

Post by LostInSpace »

HI there,

Long time user of Gargoyle, maybe 10 years or so.

I am still on the exact router model that I bought when I started and they are still going strong, albeit only on version 1.8 and 1.12 because they are a tad old [TL-WDR3600].

When I look for my next router I'll still be looking for something that is Gargoyle compatible. Their rock solid performance and security is pretty much unmatched for the price and, well, I don't like change much.

Wanted to say thanks too all of the past, present and future developers. There are many of us out here who love you for the time you put into it.