Recommend a new router for Gargoyle?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

adrianjt

Re: Recommend a new router for Gargoyle?

Post by adrianjt »

Our wndr3800 got too hot over several years - it had been mounted on its side against a cabinet - and now resets every 2-3 minutes. If you have one I suggested you keep it cool.

Looking for a router to replace wndr3800 running gargoyle.

A linksys ea8500 (placed in the front of the house) is lan bridged (to former wndr3800) & mainly serves wifi; 5 peeps, x2-3 devices each (of which x4 peeps are yt/fb/insta dependent teenagers). Unfortunately the ea8500 is locked down with linksys firmware.

New wifi router, with gargoyle, will sit towards the rear of the house (1-2 peeps, 4-5 devices), gigabit ethernet to Optus cable modem. Speedtest generally reads 80-90mbs.

Preferring to spend sub $200 but umart have the wrt1900acs for $249...

House is 2 storey, timber floors, but double brick walls, thru-out.

Interested in suitable wifi router suggestions please... something not too finicky when flashing, + usb3.

And thanks Eric/Lantis & all involved for the .12 gargoyle upgrade, better head off to PayPal next and show some gratitude!

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

adrianjt wrote:Preferring to spend sub $200 but umart have the wrt1900acs for $249...

House is 2 storey, timber floors, but double brick walls, thru-out.

Interested in suitable wifi router suggestions please... something not too finicky when flashing, + usb3.
The WRT1900ACS would run Gargoyle well, and $249 is the best new price I've seen for them here in Aus (not that I've been actively looking).

I know you had trouble with the EA8500 you have because of the factory firmware update, but Wireless1 still seem to have some stock in their Ebay store at about AU$160 delivered if you were prepared to have another go - just remember not to update the factory firmware before flashing Gargoyle!!!!

adrianjt

Post by adrianjt »

Thanks Pythonic, oops, yes. I didn't look very hard.

I 'feel' more comfortable with the wrt1900acs and expect this to be my last modem for a few years.

Got the budget lifted without much drama.

Appreciate your advice,
cheers Adrian

timscottyoung

Post by timscottyoung »

adrianjt wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:50 am
Thanks Pythonic, oops, yes. I didn't look very hard.

I 'feel' more comfortable with the wrt1900acs and expect this to be my last modem for a few years.

Got the budget lifted without much drama.

Appreciate your advice,
cheers Adrian
I'm about to move into the land of Gargoyle for the first time... mainly to track data usage, as I am on a cell based modem with separate router, and stuck using a data "package".
So, I found the WRT1900ACS you guys mentioned on CDW (I'm from USA) for $200. Have you bought this router and installed the firmware? It go OK? Thanks,

Tim