Recommend a new router for Gargoyle?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

adrianjt

Re: Recommend a new router for Gargoyle?

Post by adrianjt »

Our wndr3800 got too hot over several years - it had been mounted on its side against a cabinet - and now resets every 2-3 minutes. If you have one I suggested you keep it cool.

Looking for a router to replace wndr3800 running gargoyle.

A linksys ea8500 (placed in the front of the house) is lan bridged (to former wndr3800) & mainly serves wifi; 5 peeps, x2-3 devices each (of which x4 peeps are yt/fb/insta dependent teenagers). Unfortunately the ea8500 is locked down with linksys firmware.

New wifi router, with gargoyle, will sit towards the rear of the house (1-2 peeps, 4-5 devices), gigabit ethernet to Optus cable modem. Speedtest generally reads 80-90mbs.

Preferring to spend sub $200 but umart have the wrt1900acs for $249...

House is 2 storey, timber floors, but double brick walls, thru-out.

Interested in suitable wifi router suggestions please... something not too finicky when flashing, + usb3.

And thanks Eric/Lantis & all involved for the .12 gargoyle upgrade, better head off to PayPal next and show some gratitude!

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

adrianjt wrote:Preferring to spend sub $200 but umart have the wrt1900acs for $249...

House is 2 storey, timber floors, but double brick walls, thru-out.

Interested in suitable wifi router suggestions please... something not too finicky when flashing, + usb3.

The WRT1900ACS would run Gargoyle well, and $249 is the best new price I've seen for them here in Aus (not that I've been actively looking).

I know you had trouble with the EA8500 you have because of the factory firmware update, but Wireless1 still seem to have some stock in their Ebay store at about AU$160 delivered if you were prepared to have another go - just remember not to update the factory firmware before flashing Gargoyle!!!!

adrianjt

Post by adrianjt »

Thanks Pythonic, oops, yes. I didn't look very hard.

I 'feel' more comfortable with the wrt1900acs and expect this to be my last modem for a few years.

Got the budget lifted without much drama.

Appreciate your advice,
cheers Adrian