WAN-LAN throughput Improvements on Newer Routers

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

michaelmantis

WAN-LAN throughput Improvements on Newer Routers

Post by michaelmantis »

My first post here and I want to say thanks to everyone involved in creating Gargoyle. Been using it for close to 2 years on a WD 750 router using Gargoyle 1.9.1.

I'm hitting the "WAN-LAN throughput hardware enhanced speed barrier" that is a known (and well complained about fact of life for open source router firmware!) issue and the best WAN-LAN throughput I can get using my existing hardware (which is around 5 years old now) is close to 100 Mbps.

I've read up and it looks like improving WAN-LAN throughput is all dependent on the CPU of the router (since open-source firmware cannot use any hardware acceleration).

I believe the WD 750 has a 560 Mhz processor (via the OpenWRT Wiki) and I'm looking at flashing a Linksys WRT AC1200 which looks like it is a much more powerful model.

Before I go through the trouble, I wanted to see if it is correct that I should be able to get faster WAN-LAN throughput with this new model?

Also, would I be able to simply export and import my configuration to the new Router (have a ton of configuration I would like to keep).

Sorry for the long post, thanks so much in advance for any help, advice, and recommendations!

~Mike

ispyisail

Re: WAN-LAN throughput Improvements on Newer Routers

Post by ispyisail »

Linksys WRT32X

This is the router to watch

No supported yet but very soon

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11614

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Your assumptions are correct.
What kind of speeds are you looking to push?
Off the top of my head I think the WRT1200AC would do 2-300mbps with all features.

As far as exporting/importing configurations, that is going to be a no go.
The network/wireless configurations are obviously not compatible between different routers.

If you’re comfortable with manually restoring files, you could restore MOST configurations by hand.
What kind of things are you looking to keep?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

michaelmantis

Post by michaelmantis »

My Comcast connection just got "upgraded" to 150 Down / 10 Up (in their infinite wisdom they bumped DL but cut UL!?!?!) and I'm stuck at 100 mbps DL on my WD 750 today running Gargoyle 1.9.1.

Few month ago (before I knew about this issue) I paid for a month to upgrade to a 300/30 mbps connection and never could get above the 100 mbps DL but got the 30 mbps UL and it baffled me.

Also, if I have to redo all of my settings (40 assigned IPs, history of device use, etc) by switching to a new router, I think I may just stick with what I have.

Thanks for the reply!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The assigned IPs are no problem. Restoring bandwidth history isn’t straight forward. I’ve done it recently and it took more than a few attempts, having to factory reset each time.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.