GARGOYLE ACCESS POINT ONLY SETUP / CONFIGURATION

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

tacuar

GARGOYLE ACCESS POINT ONLY SETUP / CONFIGURATION

Post by tacuar »

Kindly hope to know if Gargoyle system could have a router running mode setup GUI for Access Point (AP Mode) , Router, Repeater , which is kind of similar to ASUSwrt firmware, is possible?

Even there is a wiki specially instrucing openwrt users to setup wire bridged ap , and there is ways make the setup, but still not so sure that is 100% correct.

For example, it tells us to disable fireware and dnsmasq, and some other things to do.

In some factory firmware such as asuswrt or netgear, in system or advanced setup there is a setup function of AP, Router, Repeater.

It describes AP as : under this mode, NAT, firewall disabled, but who knows what is the full configuration behind this simple description, and really hopes to know a complete, detailed and accurate setup or definition of AP only mode, correspondingly in GARGOYLE and OPENWRT.

Thank you guys!

Lantis

Re: GARGOYLE ACCESS POINT ONLY SETUP / CONFIGURATION

Post by Lantis »

For a wired access point which is extending another network, we call this a “dumb switch” i.e. there is no smart functionality occurring.

In Gargoyle, Connect a LAN cable from the network to any LAN point on the Gargoyle Router. On Connection Basic page, set Connect Via to “Disabled” and then set up the Access Point as required. Additionally, go to Connection DHCP and disable the DHCP server.

I don’t understand what you mean by “AP, Router, Repeater”, as these are three different operating modes (which Gargoyle supports).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tacuar

Post by tacuar »

Thank you for your reply.

AP, Router, Repeater : these are 3 modes of operation of a router.

And my question is about AP mode: access point only mode.

1.For GARGOYLE , as per your indication, now i know if we want to use AP only mode, we could set wan as disabled.

2. However,under ap mode, normally the dhcp will automatically be switched off?

3. For some router factory firmware, when you select router operation mode to AP only, then it follows a consequent setup of ip distribution, and asks you if you want to allocate the LAN ip manually or let it be getting ip automatically from the gateway:

192.168.1.x

can also follows a setup of DNS, you can choose DNS to be your own, or simply set the gateway ip as the DNS for this AP Only gargoyle router.

Lantis wrote:For a wired access point which is extending another network, we call this a “dumb switch” i.e. there is no smart functionality occurring.

In Gargoyle, Connect a LAN cable from the network to any LAN point on the Gargoyle Router. On Connection Basic page, set Connect Via to “Disabled” and then set up the Access Point as required. Additionally, go to Connection DHCP and disable the DHCP server.

Then finally, put a cable between the lan output of the gargoyle and the gateway router.

I don’t understand what you mean by “AP, Router, Repeater”, as these are three different operating modes (which Gargoyle supports).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

tacuar wrote:Thank you for your reply.

AP, Router, Repeater : these are 3 modes of operation of a router.

And my question is about AP mode: access point only mode.

1.For GARGOYLE , as per your indication, now i know if we want to use AP only mode, we could set wan as disabled.

2. However,under ap mode, normally the dhcp will automatically be switched off?
Agreed, but in Gargoyle it is not. You will need to disable it after you make the change
tacuar wrote:3. For some router factory firmware, when you select router operation mode to AP only, then it follows a consequent setup of ip distribution, and asks you if you want to allocate the LAN ip manually or let it be getting ip automatically from the gateway:

192.168.1.x

can also follows a setup of DNS, you can choose DNS to be your own, or simply set the gateway ip as the DNS for this AP Only gargoyle router.
Gargoyle will allow all of this.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tacuar

Post by tacuar »

Oh okey now i get it and thank you as always.

Also we will be waiting the on-going lede switch.

Actually gargoyle based on cc is very good already, i kind of hope that if the shortcut-fe and fast-classifier patch can be applied to cc15.05.1 (kernel 3.18) then it would be very nice, then gargoyle /openwrt firmware 's wireless download speeds would be the same as those factory builds.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Unfortunately fast path will break Gargoyle QOS, so i don't expect it to be a mainstream change. But it could be a custom build yes.

Glad you are enjoying Gargoyle.

tacuar

Post by tacuar »

I'm not quite sure, though i saw someone posted like, the recent patch by dissent is compatible with the qos, however i'm not quite sure the qos they talked about is the SQM-QOS in lede, but is not the same as the main qos feature of GARGOYLE, i know GARGOYLE is quite outstanding due to its qos reputation.

Anyway if gargoyle would have the fast path patched, the output speeds would be super, so anyone talking about speeds, Gargoyle would be the same as those others such as dd-wrt or factory firmwares.
Lantis wrote:Unfortunately fast path will break Gargoyle QOS, so i don't expect it to be a mainstream change. But it could be a custom build yes.

Glad you are enjoying Gargoyle.