Ispyisail / Lantis - quick question - how easy/hard do you think it would be to write a configuration conversion/filter that would prevent this?
What I mean is:
- add a "gargoyle version number" file to the configuration
- add a cross-reference table entry for each version that lists configuration files that cannot be directly imported from the last version (or a yes/no for each feature - for example, hosts file reuse - yes, ethers file reuse - yes, wireless configuration - no, etc)
- add logic to the configuration restore and preserve configuration features which looks at the existing firmware version and the configuration to be restored/preserved. This logic would decide what files could be directly re-used without any modification a which could not
- perhaps a dialog could be presented informing the user of the settings that would need to be re-done, and give them an opportunity to cancel it
- extra functionality could be to even convert the files that could not be directly reused into a new usable format? This sounds much harder though...
I'm sure there are lots of configuration files and this may be a big initial step, but at least something like this may prevent the issues that we've seen above.
It has been discussed. It's a lot of work, and very difficult to keep up to date.
I have a list in my head of which versions you can and can't upgrade between because I know every single code change that had occurred.
I don't have a lot of time to work on these things at the moment which is a shame. I'm working on a major update with another user but it is still months away.