Version 1.3.5: Wireless N

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Version 1.3.5: Wireless N

Post by Eric »

As of version 1.3.5 Gargoyle now supports some newer wireless N hardware that can make use of the ath9k wireless driver. These newer atheros routers include the Linksys WRT160NL, the Planex MZK-W04NU, and the Ubiquity Routerstation Pro (when used with an ath9k compatible mini-PCI card such as the SR71A). There are many more models now supported (checkout the download page), but those are the only ones that I have tested personally. Alix/x86 images have also been updated to handle ath9k mini-PCI cards or madwifi mini-PCI cards (though you can't have both installed at the same time).

Also, a new automatic congestion control utility, created by Paul Bixel, (first reported here) is now ready for release. This feature allows QoS to handle the case where the available bandwidth is constantly fluctuating, adjusting the total limits in QoS proportional to what is currently available instead of a fixed number. This can be configured in the QoS download page, though you need to have both upload and download QoS active for this to work.

Further, this release adds support for the reset button in the MR3201A devices available for purchase on this site. The reset button on Atheros 231X/5312 devices such as the MR3201A will now reset all settings back to their defaults, including the password -- so be careful about pressing it. This is implemented so that there is an easy way to recover in case the password is lost. However, this can't be implemented in the same way in the older 2.4 kernel necessary for broadcom hardware, so the reset button on the WRT54GL/Asus Wl500GP etc remains non-functional in Gargoyle. This feature has also been back-ported to the stable branch, and will be available in all routers purchased from the Gargoyle store.

Several unusual errors were reported in the 1.3.4 release. I've had difficulty replicating these problems, or determining what might have caused them. The underlying version of OpenWrt has been upgraded to 10.03.1 rc3, and I hope that this will address some of these peculiar issues. Please report any similar problems experienced in 1.3.5 right away.

New in 1.3.5:
  • Support for wireless N (ath9k driver) in Atheros 71xx devices and Alix boards
  • New Automatic Congestion Control utility for QoS
  • Reset button resets Gargoyle defaults for Atheros 231X/5312
  • Underlying OpenWrt version upgraded to 10.03.1 rc3
  • Router hostname now served by DNS
  • Default hostname changed from OpenWrt to Gargoyle
  • New QoS option to set class based on connection bytes
New in 1.2.5:
  • Reset button resets Gargoyle defaults for Atheros 231X/5312 (backported from 1.3.5)
  • Fixes timezone display when timezone is a plain UTC offset (backported from 1.3.4)
  • Fixes setting of ip_conntrack_udp_timeout_stream key (backported from 1.3.4)

gogubeb

Re: Version 1.3.5: Wireless N

Post by gogubeb »

Great news.
What is the fw for wrt160nl?
I have dd-wrt on it last fw 14929.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

There are two firmware files for the wrt160nl (and most Atheros 71xx routers), one to flash from the stock firmware, and one to use to upgrade from a previous version of Gargoyle/OpenWrt.

For the wrt160nl, this is the file to flash from factory defaults:

gargoyle_1.3.5-ar71xx-wrt160nl-squashfs-factory.bin

And this is the one to upgrade from an existing Gargoyle/OpenWrt installation:

gargoyle_1.3.5-ar71xx-wrt160nl-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

I'm not 100% sure which one is appropriate for upgrading from DD-WRT, but if I had to guess it's the sysupgrade one used for a pre-existing Gargoyle/OpenWrt installation.

gogubeb

Post by gogubeb »

Thanks Eric.
Can you tell why the wireless led is off and how can i turn it on?

Gingernut

Post by Gingernut »

I'm eager to try out the bleeding edge AR71XX support. I'll get back on how it went.

Thanks for the new version Eric.

uncle john

Post by uncle john »

Thanks for the tremendous work Eric, namely:
1. Reset button support.
2. Config File backup support.
3. Quotas with shaping (QoS active)
I'll be putting in some serious time over the next couple of weeks.
Let you know how I go ;)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

gogubeb: I haven't been able to find a trivial way to enable the led. It's mostly a cosmetic issue (the wireless still works fine), so I'm not too concerned about this.

Cezary

Post by Cezary »

Eric wrote:gogubeb: I haven't been able to find a trivial way to enable the led. It's mostly a cosmetic issue (the wireless still works fine), so I'm not too concerned about this.
Eric: in /etc/config/system

Code: Select all

config 'led'
	option 'name' 'WLAN'
	option 'sysfs' 'wrt160nl:blue:wlan'
	option 'trigger' 'netdev'
	option 'dev' 'wlan0'
	option 'mode' 'link tx rx'
Etc. required netdev

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Cezary: Thanks! I'll incorporate it into the source within the next day or two, so this should work in the next release.

gogubeb

Post by gogubeb »

Cezary wrote:
Eric wrote:gogubeb: I haven't been able to find a trivial way to enable the led. It's mostly a cosmetic issue (the wireless still works fine), so I'm not too concerned about this.
Eric: in /etc/config/system

Code: Select all

config 'led'
	option 'name' 'WLAN'
	option 'sysfs' 'wrt160nl:blue:wlan'
	option 'trigger' 'netdev'
	option 'dev' 'wlan0'
	option 'mode' 'link tx rx'
Etc. required netdev
It work now thanks