Rapsody wrote:Hi,

I have the following configuration:

Gargoyle
Gargoyle Version:1.9.0
Model:TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1
Device Configuration:Gateway
Memory Usage:16MB / 28MB (57.3%)
Connections:85/4096
CPU Load Averages:0.02 / 0.33 / 0.25 (1/5/15 minutes)

I have an ISP that offers me 300Mbps. I tried directly with the cable into my desktop and using speedtest.net i can get up to 290 Mbps. Using the configuration above somehow I'm limited to 110Mbps.
I tested the cables and all support gigabit speed.

I tried with stock firmware and i can get around 115Mbps.
I tried with OpenWrt firmware and i can get around 160Mbps.

What could be the problem that i cannot connect through the router to the speed that i get using direct connection from my computer ! 290Mbps?

What is the difference between Gargoyle and OpenWrt versions? Can i get with Gargoyle at least the same speed as OpenWrt? ~ 160Mbps?

Regards,
Hi,

Have a look here:
http://www.tp-link.ro/FAQ-465.html
I'm also on a <<TL-WR1043N/ND v1>>. Our SOC/cpu is very slow. If you take a look at <<TL-WR1043N/ND v2>> speeds, the v2 reaches almost 1Gbit/sec due to a hardware NAT and a faster SOC/cpu. But if you install any openwrt based firmware on V2, you'll probably end up at V1 speeds since openwrt runs in software and cannot make use of that "fancy" NAT hardware acceleration.
I do not care about this because my max ISP speed is 100Mbit/sec, so my V1 1043nd will never be a bottleneck.
I enjoy gargoyle a lot, but this is definitely a limiting factor. I suspect that a lot of people aren't affected by this because their ISP/internet speed is too slow to begin with - for example, someone like myself.

axa

Re: Versions 1.9.0 & 1.8.1

Post by axa »

Code: Select all

root@RTR:/tmp# opkg install strongswan-full
ERROR: Dependency strongswan-mod-pubkey of package strongswan-full cannot be found, try updating your package lists

root@RTR:/tmp# opkg list | grep 'strongswan-mod-pubkey'
strongswan-mod-pubkey - 5.3.3-1 - StrongSwan raw public key plugin

root@RTR:/tmp# 
I'm unable to install any package that has dependencies. However when i grep the list of packages, the "missing" package exist on the list.

Anyone had problem with this?

polca

Post by polca »

user1011 wrote:
Rapsody wrote:Hi,

I have the following configuration:

Gargoyle
Gargoyle Version:1.9.0
Model:TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1
Device Configuration:Gateway
Memory Usage:16MB / 28MB (57.3%)
Connections:85/4096
CPU Load Averages:0.02 / 0.33 / 0.25 (1/5/15 minutes)

I have an ISP that offers me 300Mbps. I tried directly with the cable into my desktop and using speedtest.net i can get up to 290 Mbps. Using the configuration above somehow I'm limited to 110Mbps.
I tested the cables and all support gigabit speed.

I tried with stock firmware and i can get around 115Mbps.
I tried with OpenWrt firmware and i can get around 160Mbps.

What could be the problem that i cannot connect through the router to the speed that i get using direct connection from my computer ! 290Mbps?

What is the difference between Gargoyle and OpenWrt versions? Can i get with Gargoyle at least the same speed as OpenWrt? ~ 160Mbps?

Regards,
Hi,

Have a look here:
http://www.tp-link.ro/FAQ-465.html
I'm also on a <<TL-WR1043N/ND v1>>. Our SOC/cpu is very slow. If you take a look at <<TL-WR1043N/ND v2>> speeds, the v2 reaches almost 1Gbit/sec due to a hardware NAT and a faster SOC/cpu. But if you install any openwrt based firmware on V2, you'll probably end up at V1 speeds since openwrt runs in software and cannot make use of that "fancy" NAT hardware acceleration.
I do not care about this because my max ISP speed is 100Mbit/sec, so my V1 1043nd will never be a bottleneck.
I enjoy gargoyle a lot, but this is definitely a limiting factor. I suspect that a lot of people aren't affected by this because their ISP/internet speed is too slow to begin with - for example, someone like myself.
Hello, I'm on TL-WR1043N/ND v2 with gargoyle ver. 1.8.1.
My max ISP speed is 200Mbit/sec and using speedtest.net only get about 120Mbit/sec. But when I reset the router or save changes of any kind, ONLY in the first test of speedtest I reach about 190Mbit/sec, then remains the same. I don't have enable QoS or cuotes.
I can not find explanation to this. I think it is a serious problem and I'm considering leaving gargoyle.
Thanks and sorry for my poor english.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

This has been explained numerous times.
Due to the monitoring capability of Gargoyle, the firewall does introduce some speed bottle necks at higher speeds. This is made worse by slow processor speeds.

You may wish to try Openwrt which has less of these features and is therefore not as susceptible.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

polca

Post by polca »

then, is the same even if I update to 1.9.0??

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It will be about the same
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

polca

Post by polca »

Well, I just installed openwrt and my problem is resolved.
I'm a little sad on the one hand.
Thank you very much to all who work hard to develop this firmware.
Cheers.

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

just tried to upgrade to v1.9 on my archer c7v1 and i had some serious issues
could not set-up anything since WAN configuration always says DHCP wired with ALL options visible underneath. if i tick für example LTE (QMI) most options dissapear, but no configuration for the LTE stick appears - checkbox still says DHCP wired etc...

i upgraded from 1.8.0 to 1.9.0 via sysupgrade image without preserving settings - shall i use factory image instead or what? same issues with latest ipysail march image.

stuck back to 1.8.0 running smoothly...

did not read the whole thread now, so possibly someone other already had the same issues

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You need to clear your browser cache.

chocdrop

Post by chocdrop »

Went from sub-5 Mbit/s ADSL to 50 Mbit/s NBN fibre a few days ago, and upgraded Gargoyle from 1.7.1 to 1.9.0 yesterday to celebrate. Seems to be working fine. Pizza money sent :D
Netgear WNDR3800