Version 1.7.2

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Version 1.7.2

Post by Eric »

New in 1.7.2:
  • ath10k wireless driver added for models that require it, allows full Dual Band performance on TP-Link Archer c7 router
  • New Adblock plugin created by forum user Lantis
  • New email plugin (both ssl and smaller non-ssl versions), created by forum user dpint. Note that this plugin currently lacks i18n support, it is only in English.
  • Switched main http server on router from old minihttpd based solution to more modern uhttpd now included in OpenWRT -- should address some redirect errors people have been reporting for a while
  • Fixes installing tor support as a plugin
  • Fixes issue that can cause plugin installation to fail when installing plugins after a firmware upgrade when settings were preserved
  • Fixes problem with properly handling several dynamic DNS providers due to lack of sha1sum utility
  • Fixes problem that caused OpenVPN firewall script to not be called properly
  • Fixes problem displaying OpenVPN clients when running OpenVPN
    server (thanks to user ifedorenko)
  • Added new Dynamic DNS Provider cloudnds.net (thanks to ispyisail)
  • Fixes miniupnpd so >4G bandwidth doesn't zero out counters
  • Fixes issue that can cause system time to not be set properly
  • Fix some issues in minidlna plugin that prevent minidlna from properly updating data on available media
  • Status page in D-Link DIR-835 router now shows ethernet port speed/status in the System/Overview section
  • Fixes WPA Enterprise AP Authentication with external RADIUS server
  • Several fixes to handle QMI 3G modems properly
  • OpenWRT version updated to include latest fixes in Barrier Breaker
It is recommended that you do not attempt to preserve settings when upgrading to this version. A config incompatibility can cause various problems including reboot loops.
If you backup and restore config, do so manually, excluding the file httpd_gargoyle.
Last edited by Lantis on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added recommendation to not preserve settings OR restore settings

Vioner

Re: Version 1.7.2

Post by Vioner »

So, after update, my NETGEAR wndr3700v2 should get the normal bandwidth back or not? It's half the download for now (120 instead of 250).

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

There are no improvements in this release that are likely to make a big difference with respect to bandwidth issues people are seeing.

The bandwidth issues that are being reported in 1.7.X but are not present in 1.6.2 are entirely the result of issues with the Barrier Breaker branch of OpenWRT, nothing Gargoyle changed/added to it. I attempted to backport a fix from Chaos Calmer into this release, but that fix does not seem to work very well, although it is included in this release. You will probably have to wait for support for Chaos Calmer before these issues are fully addressed. Until then your best bet to optimize for maximum bandwidth throughput is to stick with 1.6.2.

klaafstra99

Post by klaafstra99 »

Almost afraid to ask: is there any sight on IPV6? Or is there an 'OpenWRT' route to implement this?

Or is it something I don't have to wait for because it's technically impossible?

varma

Post by varma »

When formatting a pendrive within gargoyle, the option to tick/select is supposed to set up automatically the entire process of extrooting?
if yes, in latest 1.7.X Built 20150207, on my WR1043ND it didn't work.
has it been fixed? could it be related to something else?

otherwise let me know if I simply should set extroot manually... :cry:
will try this new build as soon as I find time!
Tp-Link WR1043ND v1.4 using Gargoyle 1.7.2
Tp-Link WDR3600 v1.5 using OpenWRT CC by SamKnows

tapper

Post by tapper »

Looking really good thanks for the update.

You seem to of fixed one of the problems with the adblock script that I had when putting in the script in to etc manually. That being that upon reboot no ads were being blocked, and to get ads blocked i wood have to run the script again.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Is it safe to restore config from 1.7.1 or 1.7.x?
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

tapper wrote:Looking really good thanks for the update.

You seem to of fixed one of the problems with the adblock script that I had when putting in the script in to etc manually. That being that upon reboot no ads were being blocked, and to get ads blocked i wood have to run the script again.

Can you tell me more about this mate? Which bit were you putting into /etc manually?

Thanks for the new build Eric.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

nworbnhoj wrote:Is it safe to restore config from 1.7.1 or 1.7.x?

I would guess yes.
No major config changes between 1.7.X and 1.7.2

I would recommend that users upgrading from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2 do so without preserving settings. This is due to the change in web servers.
Manually backing up settings and applying them 1 at a time leaving out httpd_gargolye should work ok.
I could be wrong about this I just don't remember how they interact.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Lantis wrote:
tapper wrote:Looking really good thanks for the update.

Can you tell me more about this mate? Which bit were you putting into /etc manually?

Thanks for the new build Eric.

Hi mate it was the jist from github I ment sorry.

Thanks for the plugin btw it's much better like this you have dun a good job.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260